2004 - 2008 F-150

Installed center console 08 Regular cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed center console 08 Regular cab

My teenage son and I went junkyard searching last weekend looking for a center console to swap my middle jump seat out with. I've wanted a 2 seat truck for a long time and now with only 1 kid left who's not college age I finally decided to build what I have been talking about for years. We found a couple 04-07 Super Cab's one with flow thru console w/ the floor shifter and the other with the non flow-thru standalone unit (the one I wanted, like Silver07's). I ended up combining parts from both units as they were in varying states of wear / abuse. Wound up getting the entire thing for $25, so it was worth the risk to see if I could make it work. The center console was bolted in w/ 4 15mm nuts on threaded studs and came out easy peasy.

Here's what it looked like when I got it home.

And after cleaning it up.

Now removing the jump seat was a major PITA compared to how easily the console came out of the junkyard truck. The front left bolt did NOT want to cooperate, and with limited room to get on it, ended up stripping the bolt head. I found there was a mix of T45 and T50 bolt heads between all 4 bolts. Ended up having to tear the seat apart piece by piece to get it out, and had to take it to a buddy to weld a nut onto the remaining bolt head to be able to back it out the rest of the way. Several hours later it was finally out.

I decided to NOT reuse the other torx bolts and sourced replacement hex head ones from Home Depot. The two closest sizes that matched up to the factory bolts were M12 - 1.75 x 35mm for the front two bolts and M12 - 1.75 x 80mm for the rear bolts. Here's a pic of the packaging, with the old factory torx head bolts (I took the pic after I had installed the new bolts).

Here's the before picture with the jump seat.

And the after picture with the rescued console installed.

Suffice it to say, the work effort was worth it to me. Totally changes the interior look of the truck as well as the driving experience. The only thing that is missing on it is there is a front piece of trim that fits into the front storage "bucket" to keep things from falling out. That was missing and it looks like it's a $20 part online from Ford...going to keep my eyes peeled for another doner truck I can take it from.

Last edited by wildbilloh; 03-18-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great, and a nice little write up in case someone else is considering this swap. Thanks

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-18-2020, 09:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Very nice!

I've always wondered if that center console would fit with the standard shift...

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Installed center console 08 Regular cab