2004 - 2008 F-150

Intermittent A/C 2005 F-150 KR

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent A/C 2005 F-150 KR

Hello.

I have searched through this forum and have not seen any discussion on my particular issue, thus a new thread:

2005 F-150, 5.4L, King Ranch
A/C is the electronic controls (not the dials)

Problem: Push buttons to turn on the A/C. A/C comes on at 75 degrees on the digital readout. A/C stays on for anywhere from 3 seconds to 25 seconds and then turns off. The electronic control turns off (no lights) and the air stops blowing out of the vents. If you turn it back on, it does the same thing. If it stays on long enough, I can feel cold air blowing. I've tried using it at different temperatures and fan speeds with the same result. The A/C controls and airflow turns off after a few seconds.

Troubleshooting:
1. I tried disconnecting the battery at the negative cable for 30 minutes. No change.
2. I tried using the A/C by turning the key up one click (engine isn't running, controls are on battery power). No change.
3. After researching, I read a lot about replacing the blower motor resistor. I purchased this one from Auto Zone and installed it. No change.

I am looking for suggestions before I take it somewhere. Any thoughts?

Thank you ahead of time!

Last edited by Brian Sharman; 08-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Check your battery condition (capacity) and verify the alternator is properly charging the battery. EATC modules tend to go brain-stupid if they don't have enough power.

If that passes, check all grounds and power feeds to the EATC module. If those are good, then you likely have a failed EATC module but there are specific diagnostics checks that should be doe before making that determination.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Thanks for your response.

I spent some time with my multimeter checking as you suggest.

1. My battery and alternator are in the putting out the appropriate voltage. That seems likely not the issue.

2. I accessed the rear of the EATC and checked the power and ground and both seem to appropriate.

3. While I had access to he plugs, I put a bit of dielectric grease, re-attached, and then tried the A/C again. The unit stayed on for 30-45 seconds (longer than it had) and was blowing cold air.

So, it sounds like maybe it is the EATC module? I found another thread that said you could do a diagnostic test by pushing "off" and "defrost" simultaneously with the key click up to acc. I got nothing when I tried that.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You can't load test a battery and alternator with a multimeter, you need a load tester. Parts stores do this in the parking lot free of charge.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Double check your procedure for initiating the self-test, something doesn't sound right with what you described. You will have to do it while the unit is powered up.

• The self-test can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the AUTO button within 2 seconds. The display will show a flashing blower icon for 20 seconds, after which all vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no on-demand DTCs present. If DTCs are present the EATC module will display "00 00" and then on-demand DTCs. Record all DTCs displayed.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all of the responses.

I found a used EATC module on eBay for $90 and made the purchased. Upon installation, my problem seems to be resolved. I will report back if it starts acting up again. Thanks again for the assistance.

Quick Reply: Intermittent A/C 2005 F-150 KR