2004 - 2008 F-150

P0720 code

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry P0720 code

It's been over 3 years since I last logged in. Wow!

Anyways, I am looking for some guidance here. My truck now has 220k miles on it. 5.4L. I had quite a bit of front end work done to the truck cause I was getting worried about my safety. Roughly a couple weeks after the incident, I started experiencing a issues with the transmission. Let me explain further below:
  • From a complete stop, you hit the gas pedal, and the engine revved up. It was like the transmission wasn't responding. Eventually, it took off when I got out of 1st gear. I experienced this a couple days in a row. It was randomly when it would happen.
  • On the 3rd day, that's when it all took a crap. Now I am officially throwing a P0720 code.

I have replaced the VSS on the side of the transmission on the drivers side. No change in my situation. I have full reverse, but when I go to take off, the engine revs up and it's a turtle crawl from there till it throws the code again and cuts engine power down.

As of right now, I have no speedometer. It isn't working at all. I can clear the codes and when I try again, I get the same error code and the OD light blinks, getting a transmission fault, and power is cut. Engine still stays alive though. Pulling the ABS sensor on the rear differential throws a code and plugging that back in makes the ABS code go away. I pulled the connector back off the hall-effects sensor and pushed it back in to be sure everything was connected.

Everything I have read says I need to verify I don't have a short in the wiring. That location is insane to check due to how cramped it is. I am honestly prepared to snip the wires and run separate ones back up to the PCM or wherever they connect.

Anyone else run into this? I don't really want to send this off to a shop because of how complicated this may end up being when it could be something simple.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watching a Youtube video, I may have only replaced the OSS and still need to get the VSS changed out. I changed out the one towards the rear of the transmission. I found the one this afternoon above the gearshift lever mechanism. It's so cramped in there, I am struggling to find the bolt to take off out of the transmission.

Quick Reply: P0720 code