2004 - 2008 F-150

2007 f150 4x4 hard to steer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 f150 4x4 hard to steer

07 4x4 kingranch while pulling in to park, backing out of space, parked trying to turn difficult to steer if not impossible. Changed many parts, rack, pump and now steering shaft, changed fluid in system but no help. If you are parked with your foot on the brake you can't turn the wheel after you get about a turn either direction. It has caused me nearly to wreck when parking or getting out. Been to a good shop and a dealer, after a perfect alignment, plenty of air in tires it steers better under those conditions but never right. I changed the fluid in the system by draining, cranking and allowing it to pump all out, refill will dex v and I can steer with 1 finger parked for a few times lock to,lock but go around the block same thing. YES IVE RELACED STEERING SHAFT RECENTLY, and along the way just about everything else. I've had other vehicles that would steer with 2 flats better than this truck. Please help!

Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Kevin, I moved your thread out of the "Site Questions" area to the one for your model year truck.

Your description certainly makes me think there's a problem with the power steering system. I'd think a dealer or "good shop" could figure out what's wrong. Possibly the power steering pump has failed? I wouldn't just throw more parts at it though. Get it to a place where they know what they're doing.

- Jack

Old 04-03-2019, 08:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Here's what I would've done in my order:

1. Flush the fluid and inspect for leaks. -- Fixed? Good -- No, go to step 2.
2. Leaks, then fix the leak, whether it be a hose or a cooler. -- Fixed? Good -- No, go to step 3.
3. Change the power steering pump. -- Fixed? Good -- No, go to step 3.
4. Change the rack.

There isn't much to power steering.

Quick Reply: 2007 f150 4x4 hard to steer