2004 - 2008 F-150

Instrument cluster intermittent issue (only when cold outside)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument cluster intermittent issue (only when cold outside)

Hi there! This is my first of hopefully many posts in this forum. Hopefully over time I can share my knowledge that I have to help others but for now I'm looking for some help.

So I just recently bought a 2006 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4. When it's freezing outside (literally freezing, like below 32 degrees) on cold start of the truck, the following don't work: gauges, airbag, radio, door locks, I believe door windows too, interior lights, etc. As soon as the truck warms up a bit, everything comes back on like it should. I only know the airbag issue because during this "warm up" period, the airbag light on the instrument cluster blinks and then goes solid, almost like it's looking for the airbag but can't find it. Once everything comes back on, if I power cycle the truck the airbag light goes off and everything is working as it should.

I've read that it's something in the instrument cluster. Not sure if it's some kind of moisture that's causing a relay to literally freeze up, or if it's something that has a loose connection and the cold is causing things to contract and once they warm up it makes the proper connection again, or something completely different.

Wanting to hear from others that have had a similar problem and what they've done to fix things. I am thinking about sending my cluster off to have it repaired, just wanting someone who's a lot smarter than myself to basically say "yep, it's the cluster. Get it fixed and it'll be good to go".

Thanks in advance for any help you all can give me.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster intermittent issue (only when cold outside)