2004 - 2008 F-150

Throttle lag in 4wd low?

Old 02-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle lag in 4wd low?

When my truck is in 4wd low,it has a long delay when you press the throttle.Is this normel? I have never had this with any other 4wd that I have owned.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:18 AM
what kind of situation were you in to need 4 lo- give us some more info first- pulling something, stuck, etc..

Old 02-03-2006, 12:42 AM
IT is happing anytime that I'm in 4lo, it's just a delay for the engine to respond to pressing down on throttle.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:47 AM
its probably just the super low gearing inherent to 4 lo and what is needed to engage it- 4lo is your absolute last chance scenario-your overall speed is drastically limited in 4lo as it is only meant for absolute traction/pull your self out of a massive ditch- oops i screwed up situation. 4hi should respond correctly other than turning difficulties- but make sure you are in a situation that calls for using 4x4 in the first place or else you could screw your truck up.

on another note, where in No. GA are you- i went to hs in alpharetta, duluth...

Old 02-03-2006, 12:56 AM
If you're still using stock tuning then 4wd low is probably just exaggerating the usual throttle lag these trucks exhibit. It's more a problem with Ford's funky throttle management than a tuning issue but any of the more popular tuner products will fix that for you.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:07 AM
I use 4lo going in and out of a very steap and rocky mtn road or (pig trial)on my hunting club. I think it may have something to do with this drive by wire thing.

I live in Chatsworth

Old 02-03-2006, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by elmo05
I think it may have something to do with this drive by wire thing.
Well sorta. The "drive by wire" is a little more complicated than an electronic reproduction of a throttle cable so it's more a problem with the computer throttle management. You give the pedal X amount of throttle and the computer then decides what it wants to do with the motor which usually consists of falling flat on it's face.

Maybe Ford was trying for a retro feel to our motors and decided to take us back to the old days of poorly carbureted mechanical ignition engines and simulate a lean stumble combined with a vacuum advance leak. That's the only thing I can come up with.

Old 02-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by FritoBandito
Well sorta. The "drive by wire" is a little more complicated than an electronic reproduction of a throttle cable so it's more a problem with the computer throttle management. You give the pedal X amount of throttle and the computer then decides what it wants to do with the motor which usually consists of falling flat on it's face.

Maybe Ford was trying for a retro feel to our motors and decided to take us back to the old days of poorly carbureted mechanical ignition engines and simulate a lean stumble combined with a vacuum advance leak. That's the only thing I can come up with.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by FritoBandito

You may be on to somthing there! IT sure is agravating to me.I'm use to useing my throttle to help me when 4wheelin.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Suspended
I don't know, because in 4LO is about the only time where I have PERFECT throttle response.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm not mistaken guys they are programmed to feel that way in 4-lo. Its part of the computer throttle management. The idea is when in low range you have much more torque multiplication and the truck would be very jumpy when trying to rock crawl or climb a tight spot. The computer slows down the throttle "reaction" to make it much smoother and less "reactive" to the gas pedal. Its in the truck brochures and makes sense if you really think about it.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by elmo05
IT is happing anytime that I'm in 4lo, it's just a delay for the engine to respond to pressing down on throttle.

Has anyone had this same problem? If you have you will know what i'm talking about. thinking about takeing it to dealership,but just thinking about that make's me feel like pukeing! Bye the way the truck has the 4.6L,and I dont have any lag in 2wd.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
If I'm not mistaken guys they are programmed to feel that way in 4-lo. Its part of the computer throttle management. The idea is when in low range you have much more torque multiplication and the truck would be very jumpy when trying to rock crawl or climb a tight spot. The computer slows down the throttle "reaction" to make it much smoother and less "reactive" to the gas pedal. Its in the truck brochures and makes sense if you really think about it.

IT's (jumpy) allright! Especially when my non-computer controlled size 12 mashes on down then it finally reacts. I guess I need reprogramed.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
^^^^^^^Yeah what he said. It is normal, it IS in the brochures, something about torque control management. All computer programming doing as intended, nothing "wrong" with it.

Old 02-03-2006, 07:49 PM
I just had my truck in 4lo today pulling an 11000 pound trailer and bobcat around my yard. I understand what you mean with the throttle now. I agree with others in saying it is TQ and throttle management. With the gearing being so low, I could see snapping something under there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle lag in 4wd low?