2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 4.6 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 4.6 Stalling

I’ve got an ‘04 with 173,500 miles. I’d been having some issues with a knocking engine and to it to autozone where they read my code. Coil Pack 7 was going bad. I changed it out with an AZ Duralast 5yr coil and it stopped. Fast forward 4 months and we are the week before Christmas. My knock is back and I have a CEL on again. Back to AZ. Could be this...could be that...PCV valve needs replacing the guy says. Sells me one. $3.50 and 30 minutes later...it’s the wrong part. Orielly’s for the win...I take it there and the dude reads the codes. Misfire on 2, 6 & 7 with a random misfire in the first 1000 revolutions. Bought an 8 pack of coil packs and swapped them all.

Took the 4 month old #7 coil back to AZ. Swapped it for an oil change kit. He recommended this Full Synth oil so I rolled with it. I don’t think my old oil was full synth but I will call the place I’ve always had it done and find out tomorrow. Got home, changed my oil and oil filter myself for the first time no issues to boot. Yes I got the old o-ring off. Yes I ran oil around the new o-ring.

With new coils and new oil, I was feeling good. Left for work the next day and got beat to death from the knock. I’m annoyed but it’s the plugs....I’ll get it done. So I jump on the highway which is backed up. I get merged over and as I slow down, the truck dies. Won’t come back. I was able to roll back into the right lane and off the road. Popped the hood and checked all my hookups and it was solid. I got back in and tried it again...fired up. I got to work, went out for lunch later and it died again in a parking lot. Took it to oreillys again and as I got 45° into the turn in, it died.

He pulled codes and said cylinder 2 was fine but 6 and 7 were good. Also the stall was probably from a sensor I couldn’t get to. I carried the truck to a garage and told them what was going on. They kept it a few days and I got it back Friday before new year. Without checking in, my tab was $932 with $270 being a replacement/reprogram cluster not including the portion of the labor. “Yeah we swapped the cluster. That fixed it”. Now I’m showing 48k miles instead of 173k. I was told they couldn’t fix the ODO because that’s tampering and that’s illegal. I just need to keep track. Now I’m really annoyed. I paid way more than I was expecting and I’ve got some jacked up odo reading. Drove it home and it was fine. I didn’t take it out again till I went back to work on the 3rd. I went to lunch and noticed my speedo is pegged at 70mph while dead stopped. 115mph never looked so easy...did 115 at 1200rpm. Oil is at the 3/4 mark. Temp was normal and battery was between the 1/2 and 3/4 mark. A few miles later, my truck stalls.

So I’ve got a jacked up cluster, I’m out $270 plus labor, and the truck still stalls. Called the guy and he said again the cluster should have fixed it. I said it didn’t so just put my old one back because I don’t like the odo mess anyways. My original has been sent back to who knows where and I can’t get it back apparently.

Thoughts? What’s causing the stall? Could changing to a Full Synth cause problems? And is the cluster replacement as off the wall as I think it is? I’m calling him tomorrow and will be hunting down my old one. I don’t like surprises on my bill but when I’m told it’s a fix, fine. But it didn’t fix it so I just paid slll that for nothing.

Ive googled and looked at several posts but they were all old and nobody’s posted a victory result. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LcS337; 01-07-2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I smell some small claims court headed for that garage... I would certainly go after them.

Reminds me of what happened to my dad back in the early 90's when he was dealing with a small engine repair shop.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The shop that replaced the cluster is definitely liable for fixing or replacing it due to the incorrect speedometer reading. Go back and make them fix it for free.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does the fuel pump run when it dies?

Quick Reply: 2004 4.6 Stalling