2004 - 2008 F-150

Interesting Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting Electrical issue

I have a 2004 5.4 triton V8 with 100k miles on it. I few weeks ago I experienced a strange problem where my throttle was cutting in and out rhythmically. It kept stalling after this. I figured it was either the FPDM or a spark plug. Now that I am home from college for break I decided to take a crack at it. The battery was completely dead. After I got it started I got the codes P0171 system too lean bank 1 and P0174 system too lean bank 2. So I went to clean my MAF and disconnected my battery. I had been having issues with my subwoofer amplifier ever since my dog trampled all over it when my dad was using my truck. I figured what the hell and disconnected the + wire for my amplifier and light bar. The truck started up and had 0 codes. The throttle issue was gone too. I hadn't cleaned the MAF yet. How could my amp and/or my light bar cause this issue?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Have your battery and charging system checked.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:25 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
IF the amp power lead was the cause of the problem, I’d expect you might have a poor ground or short in the 12V cable which could be wreaking havoc on the truck’s electrical system. If it was supplying a charge to the chassis (which is used as a ground for the ECU/everything electrical, all sorts of crazy things can happen.

Inspect all all amp power/turn on lead/ground cables for cracks in the insulation or bare wires touching things they’re not supposed to.

Quick Reply: Interesting Electrical issue