2004 - 2008 F-150

My truck sounds like a diesel.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck sounds like a diesel.

If anyone could help me with my issue I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 2005 F150 with a 5.4 3v triton. The truck has had regular maintenance and just received a rebuilt transmission. The miles are thought the roof at 279000, I bought the truck from my work for 1500. So to the issue at hand, the truck has recently started to have a lot of lifter noise to the point where it sound horrible. My first thought was to replace the VCT solenoids to see if that would help. However after replacing both of them the problem persists, I have noticed that while idling and not driving but not accelerating the noise is there. When I accelerate the noise goes away, my thought was that the VCT is finally getting oil to the cam and lifter. My oil gauge on the inside of the cab which is OEM shows oil pressure dead in the center. Could this be a weak oil pump or possibly a blocked oil passage? Please let me know if you have any thoughts, I don't know what to do at this point. By the way as soon as the noise got noticeably louder I parked it to prevent extensive damage to the motor. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The oil pressure gauge is a glorified idiot light. You don't have enough oil pressure at idle to run the VCT system, your phasers are making the noise. The engine may also be sludged up.

As a stopgap till you can rebuild the engine, use 20W50 oil.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by glc
The oil pressure gauge is a glorified idiot light. You don't have enough oil pressure at idle to run the VCT system, your phasers are making the noise. The engine may also be sludged up.

As a stopgap till you can rebuild the engine, use 20W50 oil.
So I need new cam phasers and a new old pump. Do I have to replace latch adjusters and my cams?

Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You may have to completely rebuild the engine, with that many miles on it. You won't know what you are up against till you start tearing it down.

I'd start pricing remans with a warranty.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 PM
How long ago did you do the ad solenoids? Were the screens still good in them? If they were missing or torn or are now on the replaced solenoids? You are likely to have head problems. Mine were fine in my 04 so I replaced just the phasers ,timing chain set from Motorcraft as n put an after market high volume oilpump in it. I was going to replace the whole engine but this route was more affordable for me. I sold the truck privately and the new owner hasn't had any problems with it the past two years.

Quick Reply: My truck sounds like a diesel.