2004 - 2008 F-150

05 5.4L 3V Cam Journal Cam Cap Minor Score

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 5.4L 3V Cam Journal Cam Cap Minor Score

I was having some significant phaser issues and at 119K decided it was time to do the full timing job. Upon entry to the motor the driver side phaser was not engaging correctly as the oil pin feed was stuck, I took the cams off to find there is a minor groove on two cam jounrals likewise on two head towers/cam caps. Here is my dilemma, At this stage if I put it back together with same heads/cams, and all new timing is it just a matter of time before it decides to catastrophically fail, but run good until then? Or will I immediately see issues? I'm assuming my problems will be associated with oil pressure after it is back up and running?

Further, is putting new heads on it even worth the time? As in if the heads have the minor wear, what else has been worn in the low end of the motor and you're further pushing the problem down the road? I'm trying to weigh my options on before I go any further.

Some advise on most cost effective solution would be greatly appreciated, as I'm without a vehicle currently and considering just parting this one out and buying a newer 5.0 or ecoboost. Truck is in good working condition otherwise, body is clean, interior is cherry.

Thanks in Advance.

Quick Reply: 05 5.4L 3V Cam Journal Cam Cap Minor Score