2004 - 2008 F-150

P0020 and P0021 issue??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0020 and P0021 issue??

I own a 2005 F150 FX4 SuperCab with a 5.4L Triton V8. It currently has 217k miles on it. It has been extremely well maintained and I have owned the vehicle since it had 8k miles on it.

Last night I was driving and I got the following 2 codes:

P0020-Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / Open (Bank 2)
P0021-Intake Camshaft Position Timing-Over-Advanced (Bank 2)

The truck ran just fine no issues. Oil pressure was good, temp was good, no issues. Drove it 40 miles to work today....No issues. When I get to my office I searched these codes. Seems everyone talks about a rough idle or running rough etc. I didn't have any of that. I did replace the VCT Solenoids within the last 50k miles or so.

Should I replace the VCT Solenoids again, or look else where? Any help would be much appreciated. I did search this topic, but couldn't find any scenarios that were similar to mine.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So since both codes related to bank 2 and I have a lifetime warranty on the VCT Solenoids that I replaced last Feb 2017(advance auto/car quest ones), figured why not just replace bank 2. Since I was doing that, I might as well swap out bank 1 as well. Took both Solenoids out and exchanged them for new ones. Why not....didn’t cost me anything but time. I’ll post and update once they are installed. If this doesn’t work , I am not quite sure what to try next.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Having BOTH those codes together with the 20 first and the 21 second has some significance. The VCT solenoids are 'sourced' with +12 V, and the PCM activates them when it 'desires' retard - specifically by pulling the control wire to ground in square wave duty cycle pulses.

Since the device is sourced with +12, the PCM can monitor the voltage on the control wire to detect an "OPEN" circuit ------- Which yours did.

When in their natural state, the phasers are at zero retard. When your PCM requested 'retard' (it couldn't accomplish it if the circuit was 'open'. So comparing its desired cam position (of some degree of retard) while the cam stayed where it was ------ It was 'over advanced'. (or otherwise perhaps NOT-RETARDED enough ..?? depending on how you look at it).

Make sure your electrical plug 'clips' and connections to the bank 2 VCT solenoid are clean and solid.

BTW. With 217 k miles, it would not be poor service life of steel timing chains if they have to be replaced soon. Mine made 212k miles, and were stretched pretty good. Slack allowed them to bust the guides all up and require a full timing job.

Quick Reply: P0020 and P0021 issue??