2004 - 2008 F-150

Considering buying new engine and tranny. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering buying new engine and tranny. Thoughts?

Hey all,

2004 5.4 4x4 Lariat with 215K. Daily driver and used to tow a lot on it but i fear the small engine knocks and tranny clunks are growing more profound. Replaced tranny due to failed reverse band at 140K and now I think the engine may be going soon. considered purchasing a newer truck but wondering if anyone has any stories/prices on what it cost to replace both the engine and tranny. Have a lot of memories with the truck and before I decide to move on I wanted to weigh my options. thanks guys

Old 07-15-2017, 12:22 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Depends on what you're expectations are. You can get a short block and do whatever needs done on the heads. You can buy a long block and transfer the accessories. A long block has been costing about $8500. around here with a factory engine. Transmission, same scenario. You can rebuild it or replace it. But all in all, if it needs an engine and a transmission, you need to be looking at a new(er) truck. If I had a daily driver that needed that much work, it would belong to somebody else, like the Ford dealer as a trade in.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If you plan to keep the truck for another 100k or more miles, you can get your money's worth by replacing or rebuilding the engine and tranny. It all depends on your situation, finances, desires, usage of the truck. New trucks while very desirable for most of us are really expensive. I'm looking at new trucks now thinking about replacing my 2002 but I just don't think I can spend that kind of money when my old truck will do the job just fine so far.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the room, start shopping around for a low mileage twin and save it for parts.