2004 - 2008 F-150

2007 4.6L parts database discrepancies

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 4.6L parts database discrepancies

Hi,

My truck: 2007 F150 FX2 Sport 4.6L with 211,000 miles (was 82k when I bought it 5.5 yrs ago). Nothing wrong with it right now, but I get the feeling I need to replace some parts . I changed oil and rotated tires religiously but nothing else. When searching for the parts, I mistrust the databases that the stores have. The databases don't list an FX2 with the 4.6L. I ran my VIN through the decoder here and it says it's either an XLT or FX2, I don't know how different one is from another but read on and I'll get to the point.

When asking for an oil filter for my truck, whether running it as an FX2 or XLT in the computer at the store, they suggest either (motorcraft) FL-820S or FL-400S filters which are two completely different sizes and neither fit my engine. I know for a fact that the correct filter that fits is an FL-500S which I just have to remember because no computer has that part listed for my truck model.

Does this discrepancy exist for other parts as well? I want to change my spark plugs and after reading forums and learning about the spark plug breakage problem I saw suggestions for the SP-515 plugs, but the databases say that plug doesn't match my truck and lists the SP-493 instead; is it correct?

I need to change my shocks; I read many suggestions for the Bilstein 5100 series; does the FX2 need something different than the XLT? And is there a different part number for the front and rear shocks?

I need to change the fuel filter; the computer says I need the FG-1083 but a user review says that it wasn't correct for their truck and suggested the FG-986 instead.

I just want to be sure I am getting the right parts. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I run into the same issue looking for parts for vehicles, sometimes the parts databases get things mixed up on the first year of a new model or new body style. 2007 was the first year for an FX2, try looking for parts as a 2008. They were same body style as yours and the second year of the FX2's. If you still get wrong part #'s try looking under an XLT, because technically the FX2 was a special option package on an XLT anyway and not a specific trim level like the FX4 was back then.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I wasn't aware that these trucks switched to a different oil filter during their production run -- I thought the use of an FL-820S was a "no brainer" for both the 4.6 and 5.4 engines.....???

However, I commonly run into alternative listings for the fuel filters on my Ford vehicles -- after one bad experience, I now religiously run whatever filter is listed for the vehicle in the owners manual.

I tried one of the "alternative filters" on my '97 Ranger and I'll never do it again -- while the alternative filter installed just fine, it was a BIATCH to remove because the shaft on one side of the unit was so short it didn't allow me enough room to get my pressure fitting release tool inserted to remove the filter when it came time to change it the next time......

Old 06-09-2017, 12:46 PM
The fuel filter listed in my owners manual (FG-986B) is the same that was recommended by the user review I mentioned above. When I search for that part, the websites say its not a match for my truck. The manual also lists the FL-820S for the oil filter, but I know that's wrong. I may have to just look at each individual part on my truck to figure out what's correct. Can anyone verify that the SP-493 spark plugs are correct for my engine? Or are the SP-515s compatible?

Old 06-09-2017, 11:51 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
SP-515 is only for a 5.4 3 valve. It's a unique plug.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by glc
SP-515 is only for a 5.4 3 valve. It's a unique plug.
Thanks for that. I guess I should trust the database on the spark plugs then.