2004 - 2008 F-150

Car seat question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car seat question

I have an 05 Screw XLT. I have the base of a car seat buckled into the back seat, but when I sit the car seat on top of it, it shows that the seat isn't in a good position. There is a level sort of deal on the car seat that shows appropriate angles and when it's in the back seat of my truck it shows that the back part needs to come up or the front part of the seat needs to come down. I've been stuffing blankets under the back part of the seat to try to level it out, but is there a way to just change the angle of the base of the back seat? It's slanted up a little. I'm just being a protective parent, he's 3 weeks old now so I'm concerned about everything lol.

I can take a picture at lunch if I'm not being clear on my problem.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What exactly is showing that the seat isn't in a "good" position????? I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't have to stuff blankets under the child seat to level it. Something is wrong somewhere! Does your truck have the UCRA baby seat anchors and are you using them? Both Federal and State studies have CONSISTANTLY shown that the BIGGEST problems with baby seats are that parents fail to install them properly AND fail to tighten them tight enough.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Definitely don't shove blankets under it. What type of car seat is this? The F150's backseat has the metal car seat anchors which should hold it in place securely without using the shoulder harness/seat belt at all. Also, most of the modern car seats have an adjustable bottom on the base which allows you to adjust the rear height as needed. Make sure you read the car seat installation manual, it should tell give you a few options for installation depending on how your vehicle is equipped.

Joe, I think he's looking at the bubble-level that most car seats have to make sure the seat is centered properly.

Last edited by SoonerTruck; 07-22-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:34 PM
I'm using the metal hooks under the seats. The car seat has two circles on the side and you aren't supposed to see any red in the circles when it's at the right angle. I need to look and see if there is a way to adjust the angle of the seat. I assumed that once it clicked into place that was the end of the story. It's a babytrend XL car seat. I'll try to get a pic too. Thanks for the info guys.

I'm going to have the get the pictures tomorrow though, we have a 3 week old baby that sleeps in the room next to the driveway and my wife will kill me if I wake him up lol.

Last edited by blubill; 07-22-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
At 3 weeks he should not be facing forward (I think).

If you go back to where you got the seat, they should be able to show you how to attach it properly, or maybe the Fire Department or PD. You might even go on the manufacture's web site and see if they have a video on proper attachment.

A poorly attached child seat is almost as bad as none at all.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:28 PM
You should be able to adjust the base to lift or lower the front of it to make it level. There should be directions on how to do that. Usually they are kept under the car seat base for safe keeping.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:00 AM
I have a new child, and struggled with being it installed the first time. Make sure the seat is facing towards the tailgate, there should be a dial with positions to level it, when I had initially installed the base without the seat I realized it was backwards. Take your seat attached to the base and set it on the back seat to see if your leveling issue has been fixed. If it is still off they sell wedges to fix the level issue, look for carseat adjusters.

Quick Reply: Car seat question