2004 - 2008 F-150

Rough running 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough running 5.4

A couple weeks ago my truck started running rough, some times worse than others. Since then I have changed the fuel filter and the plugs and the issue persist. Both the filter and plugs needed changing, and there were some other issue going on that made me think it was the plugs prior to the rough running. Additionally, so far there have been no codes thrown to date. Suggestions have been given that it could be cam phaser related. Any input or trouble shooting tips would be recommended. One last note to mention is for the first time in years I detuned the truck for a friend to try out the tuner and have not put it back in yet. Any chance some of those "learning" phases the vehicle deals with could be causing an issue? Its easy enough to tune the truck back but I doubt thats the issue.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Haven't noticed you posting in awhile, good to see you on the forum! Then again I have been absent awhile myself.

With new plugs, are all the coils properly mounted? That would be my guess to a partially sluggish engine.

I would think A PCM re-learning process is quite possible with tune changing.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Haven't noticed you posting in awhile, good to see you on the forum! Then again I have been absent awhile myself.

With new plugs, are all the coils properly mounted? That would be my guess to a partially sluggish engine.

I would think A PCM re-learning process is quite possible with tune changing.
Darren, good to hear from you as well. I have been kind of idle a bit too. I picked up a new ride here recently so I have not been driving the truck as frequent (you can see it in general discussion). Anyways - I am going to tune the truck back this afternoon and see if that helps. It was running rough before changing the plugs so the coils had to come off and be reseated. However it could be a short in a boot so its not registering the misfire. I could go buy one and start swapping one out at a time to see if one shows to have an issue (if that does turn out to be the case it will be the last one I swap out LOL).

Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 PM
I think the problem is solved. Finally it through a code for bad COP on #5 cylinder. Went and picked up new COP but before replacing looked into the head and saw that the new plug was busted - don't ask me how. Anyways, I changed that out and went ahead and put on the new COP however now I have doubts that the original was bad (will keep original as a potential spare). So I think the root of the problem was the original plugs. I did go ahead and tune it back as well, man I forgot how slow these things are LOL.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad it was a quick fix!

Quick Reply: Rough running 5.4