2004 - 2008 F-150

06 5.4L wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to make sure I understand the first test.

with F102 I check each pin to ground to see which one gives me voltage (load side). The left side does.

with F7 I see which side has continuity to the load side of F102? maybe I misunderstood that.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:55 PM
so, you mentioned the C110 connector. I looked at the diagram I had and it only shows C167 connector at the DTR and no other connection before the fuse box. I looked at Chiltons online wiring diagram for the powertrain system and found page 9 shows connector C110. I looked at a picture of it, and it looked nothing like the 12pt connector I was unplugging under the hood. I went out and found the right connector.

So I re-did the first thing you asked. Checked continuity for F7 to ground with C110 connected, it went to 0. Then I unplugged the C110 connection and got no continuity, never budged.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 PM
So I unplugged C110 and C167 and tested continuity to ground on the DB/OG wire and there is. So, somewhere it is grounded and it shouldn't be, correct?

By the way, I have learned so much from research and your input. wanted to thank you ProjectSHO89 for your patience and help.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
So I unplugged C110 and C167 and tested continuity to ground on the DB/OG wire and there is. So, somewhere it is grounded and it shouldn't be, correct?
Yes, that is the fault. Find and fix it and you'll have solved the problem.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Ok, so I ran a new wire along side the harness and jumped to the DB/OG wire at each end and cut the DB/OG wire. That problem is fixed. The fuse 102 no longer is blowing when truning to start.

Now to get the Starter to turn over. I am not getting any power to the S terminal. I went to the CJB and checked fuses and relays and all seem good. I suspect it is in another wire in that same harness?

The S terminal has a YE/LB wire coming off of it going to connection C134 (in the engine compartment), not getting a load to that connection either. according to my wire diagram, the YE/LB goes to 87 on the relay (which is good), then 30 to F101 (which is good), then comes out of the CJB at connection C270A as a TN/RD wire that goes to my DTR. So, I will jump the TN/RD wire and see how that works.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:48 PM
then comes out of the CJB at connection C270A as a TN/RD wire that goes to my DTR. So, I will jump the TN/RD wire and see how that works.
Er, no.

The S terminal is supposed to get power when the starter relay is energized. That means you must figure out if that relay is energizing or not. Usually a simple fingertip test will answer that question as you can feel it click. If it clicks, then it does route power from fuse F101 to the S terminal.

My suspicion is that it is NOT energizing. For it to so so, the circuit that you were just working on must be complete all the way through the DTR switch back to pin 86 of the starter relay. You can easily check for this with a volt meter and with the key turned to START. If the interlock circuit is good, you will have battery voltage there. The other half of the starter relay circuit is that a "low" must be applied by the PCM to pin 85 which it will do if PATS is happy and there are no other circuit faults that will inhibit starter function.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:05 PM
ok, got her running. starts right up. had the brake and abs light on, but was an easy fix with fuse replacement.

Now, I reversed for about 15 yards and shifted gear to drive to check tranny. The O/D off light started blinking and screen read "trans fault", and the truck shut down. Started right back up, reversed again (because I couldn't go forward any further) and put her in drive and the same thing. O/D off started blinking and "trans fault" showed on the screen, before shutting down.

I hooked up the OBDII and got the code P0755 - Shift solenoid B

Do you know if that same wire harness would have anything to do with the tranny?

Old 05-04-2016, 07:14 PM
researching, I found this;

P0755 SSB , wiring, PCM SSB solenoid circuit failure SSB circuit fails to provide voltage drop across solenoid. Circuit open or shorted or PCM driver failure during OBD .

Seeing "Circuit open or shorted.." makes me wonder. Not sure what SSB stands for

Old 05-04-2016, 08:36 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
SSB = Shift Solenoid "B".

Old 05-04-2016, 08:37 PM
"SSB" = Shift Solenoid B

Different wiring connector at the transmission. Probably joins the same harness bundle as the DTR wiring as it goes over the top of the transmission.

Are you absolutely positive that the harness that goes over the top of the housing didn't get pinched or damaged when the transmission was installed?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:23 AM
That is very possible. even though we don't see a smashed harness anywhere, the harness runs on top of trannny and we jacked up the tranny and remember jacking it up too high and actually lifting truck at one point. Thinking about looking at a junk yard for the whole harness. Wish there was a diagram somewhere with the whole wiring diagram of that harness. But I only have access to Chiltons and theirs are in bits and pieces

Old 05-05-2016, 07:26 AM
I have tools and a little knowledge of building harnesses, have built a few for boats, but this is way more complicated

Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 AM
But I only have access to Chiltons and theirs are in bits and pieces
Their schematics, like Ford's, are undoubtedly organized by logical function instead of the physical bundle of wires. You could probably piece together a table of all the wires in the harness, but it would be tedious work to gather the data from the schematics and connector diagrams.

Have you tried doing what Patman suggested in post #13?

Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 AM
Yes, I did. Im able to move the harness around up and down and side to side a bit. but the anchors prevent too much movement.

I messed with seeing what it would take to remove the whole harness. I think I can do it with help and am going to try it this morning.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:07 AM
So, I pulled the right tire and wheel well off to get a better look and did find the harness wires were caught up in mounting the tranny and was smashed. I pulled the wire harness and rebuilt. Now it all starts up, and runs good in park. but driving I am getting codes P0018, P2195.. Before I go and pull the covers to check timing Im going to test each wire on the harness again. I am capable of reaching each end to check ohlms of each wire on the connections at each end.

Question is, looking at the diagram below, which is just an example. What is the S141 where the red wires come together?

Quick Reply: 06 5.4L wont start