2004 - 2008 F-150

Good or Bad Rear Wheel Bearing? **Video**

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good or Bad Rear Wheel Bearing? **Video**

2006 F150 SCREW
169,000 miles

I put my truck on jack stands this afternoon to check the rear wheels and this video shows what I found. This video shows the left rear but the right rear is the exact same. Would y'all say that my bearings are shot and need replacing, or do they appear to be within spec?

I've got a clicking noise while going down the road and I can mostly hear it while coasting below 40 mph or so.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
The axle can move a little in and out of the differential. To remove an axle, you have to push it in after removing the pin inside the differential and remove the C-clips.

If the wheel is moving up and down, that indicates a problem.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 PM
It moves side to side and up and down. The in and out I'm not worried that worried about. Just curious if anyone else checked their rear bearings and found them to be like mine.....and whether or not they had to get them replaced.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by repieces
It moves side to side and up and down. The in and out I'm not worried that worried about. Just curious if anyone else checked their rear bearings and found them to be like mine.....and whether or not they had to get them replaced.
I can't answer your question, but my rear wheels do not do that. Checked for any play when I rotated tires a couple weeks ago.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes most likely rear wheel bearing, or axle shafts too. You won't know till you pull them out. You could also pull off the tires, calipers and rotors and see exactly where the movement is. My axle seals were leaking so when I pulled it all apart I replaced the bearing as well since I was there. It's not too hard to do, takes time though. Hopefully its just the bearings but if they tore up your axle shafts that's another story.

Last edited by dont slow down; 11-03-2015 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:00 PM
That looks like something isn't right. If your wheel bearings were that bad, I would imagine the seal would be leaking also.
If the bearing tears up the axle, there's a bearing/seal kit you can get, instead of replacing the axle. Here's one for an 8.8 just for reference, but you can also get them for the 9"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004AB...+repair+sleeve

Quick Reply: Good or Bad Rear Wheel Bearing? **Video**