2004 - 2008 F-150

Water sitting under floor trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water sitting under floor trim

I was cleaning my 2004 f150 ext cab yesterday and I removed the floor trim on both the driver side and passenger side, and I have water sitting there within my wiring.

I also noticed that my carpet was a bit wet as well there, I tried to locate where the water was coming form, but I cant see t locate it? Does anyone else have the problem? Not sure how it is getting in both sides, but it looks like it has been sitting there awhile because it is getting rusty!

Please help!!

Thanks

Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 AM
3rd brake leaks sometimes and needs to be resealed.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lots of threads about this. Try the search function. Could be leaking from the windshield or your ac drain could be clogged. Third brake light is a possibility, but you'd notice water stains on the ceiling near the rear of the cab.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
but you'd notice water stains on the ceiling near the rear of the cab.
Not necessarily. I found the 3rd brake light leaking and filling the wire tray by the doors with water and had no stains on the ceiling. It can run down the back corners of the cab and never get the roof wet.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be door weatherstripping.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:51 PM
To find out where the leak was coming from first I dried out the wire trays by the doors. I waited until I knew it would rain and stuffed dry paper towels everyplace I suspected the water might be coming from, kick panels, under the dash, the bottom of the door and the back corner of the cab. The only towels that were wet were the ones at the back corners of the cab. I changed the third brake light and the problem was fixed. I guess you could use a hose if rain isn't in the forecast.

By the way, to dry wet carpets, an electric leaf blower with the nozzle under the edge of the carpet helps a lot to dry the bottom side.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Is it just me or do these F-150's have an unusual amount of water leakage for a modern vehicle? Do other modern vehicles (say Silverado's or Ram's within the last ten years) have the same kind of issues? It just seems odd to me that with all the testing they do to new cars that things like this aren't caught long before a vehicle gets into production.....

Trending Topics

Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 PM
I think water in the carpet is just part of owning these trucks, at least for me. Both my previous '04 (God rest it's soul) and now my '05 always had damp carpet in both front floor areas under the mats. I have seen my front carpet frozen in the winter. LOL

Two trucks and nearly 12 years and I've never figured out where it's coming from.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 PM

If you want to know if the TBL is leaking and don't have any stains, turn the vent on high with all windows and doors closed. Put some soapy water all around the edges of the TBL. Bubbles will grow if it has a leak.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure if this is an earlier on thing or not, I can't say my 2007 does not do this but with the Weathertech liners in there I never need to lift them out. When I do when cleaning, I usually feel the floor boards for wetness on the mat area and sills, guess I get lucky. With the A/C drain issue this would leak water into the passenger side footwell. Since both drivers side and passenger side sills are damp, I would rule that out and assume 3rd brake light, or weather stripping. Open the doors and study the weather stripping. Are they compressed and floppy? Cut or deteriorated? Remove your third brake light and inspect the seal, is it intact? Any deterioration or delamination? Moisture in the third brake light itself?

Old 06-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I've avoided this issue by simply never driving my truck in the rain......

Quick Reply: Water sitting under floor trim