2004 - 2008 F-150

Another set of rims -- TPMS ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Another set of rims -- TPMS ?

I'm considering getting another set of rims... probably a stock set of the factory steel/chrome rims and mount some summer tires on them -- which I already have by coincidence.

I was looking around.. I found that stock 17x7.5 chrome/steel rims are in the neighborhood of $450 shipped w/o center caps. Which is fine. I already have a set of center caps.

But I cannot seem to find a direct answer for the TPMS... some places say I need a TPMS activator tool and some say I don't, that the truck will automatically pick up the sensors.

I know I need to buy sensors, but sheesh are they expensive! Does anyone know what sensor would go on a 2007, by the Ford Part #? I see there are banded styles and there are valve stem mounted sensors. Does it even matter?

It's not set in stone whether or not I am going to get them... but from the looks of it, keeping 1 set of rims and just buying new tires is a cheaper option. From the pricing, I can buy 2 sets of really good tires for a set of rims and TPMS sensors... But it would be nice to have two sets of shoes for my truck.

At the end of the day, I'm just trying to hone in on a cost for rims, TPMS sensors, and if I need to buy that activator tool. Really to see if it's worth it.

Last edited by ManualF150; 03-08-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes you need the tool for these vehicles, you'll have to have a tire shop do that for you.
Doesn't matter if you get the stem or band style. I got the stem style in my truck right now and my 07 came with factory band style.

Quick Reply: Another set of rims -- TPMS ?