2004 - 2008 F-150

04 FX4 Frame Blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 FX4 Frame Blues

Well all my hopes and dreams of driving my truck seem to be coming to an abrupt end. Had it in for an oil change, when the mechanic tells me that I have a rust hole in my frame. The silence after the statement gave me a clue that it wasn't a small hole. I knew I shouldn't have looked at the 2015 F150 Pictures!

After looking, I was taken back. Almost the entire length of the frame next to the gas tank is rusted through, maybe as high as 3/4 of an inch. The northeast Ohio salt filled winters did their worst I guess.

Now is there hope? Other than replacing the entire frame? I know you can weld and patch a frame, but all bets are off with structural integrity and resale. Although both are gone with the rust now I am guessing. Hopefully there is material so that I can make a repair...

I am going to call Ford, just for the fun of it. Any suggestions are appreciated. In lieu of flowers, please contribute to Rob's 2015 F150 Fund.
Pictures:

Old 09-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never seen anything like that on a frame before! That sucks man, I live in South Carolina so we don't have to bad of winters other than ice but I always do a good hose down after visiting the beach. I hate for anyone to have that rust on their frame. Hope ford will contribute to your fund.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:21 PM
I remember a few years ago Toyota had a recall on the Tacoma for the frames rusting out. This was around 2009-2010 for model years 96-2004. Basically, they asked owners to bring in their truck so they could inspect and test the frame for rust damage. I owned a 2001 at the time so I took mine in after receiving a letter. They tested the frame with a punch and a hammer and if the punch penetrated the frame they would buy the trucks back for a certain amount above blue book value. I don't remember the requirements/stipulations of this, but there was nothing wrong with the frame on my truck and they coated the frame as a precaution. Hopefully Ford will be of some help to remedy the situation. Best of luck.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Beautiful truck there .....

That is some down right seriously scary looking rust though ....

If it was just a "section" and detailed examination revealed that the rest of it was good, that for whatever reason this was the only ravaged area .... I'ld drop the tank and box it well beyond the rust both ways or set it up with blocking and replace that section.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it is repairable... Id take it to a welding shop with the gas tank already out, and have them, cut out and replace the bad with good new steel.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's scary. I've been driving my truck in New England winters for 10 years, and there is some surface rust in places, so I'll be crawling underneath today to give it a thorough check out.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:30 PM
I am going to call Ford tomorrow morning with my fingers crossed. Although them buying my truck still suck, cause then I will be paying for another one. Ugh

Did some research and worst case I am going to MIG weld a patch in place. Maybe a piece of channel the same height at the frame. Not sure. Remainder of the frame is going to be treated with POR15 for sure.

Keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the info and support.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:43 PM
that's no big deal. very fixable.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Llama_Lariat07
I remember a few years ago Toyota had a recall on the Tacoma for the frames rusting out. This was around 2009-2010 for model years 96-2004. Basically, they asked owners to bring in their truck so they could inspect and test the frame for rust damage. I owned a 2001 at the time so I took mine in after receiving a letter. They tested the frame with a punch and a hammer and if the punch penetrated the frame they would buy the trucks back for a certain amount above blue book value. I don't remember the requirements/stipulations of this, but there was nothing wrong with the frame on my truck and they coated the frame as a precaution. Hopefully Ford will be of some help to remedy the situation. Best of luck.
Toyota had one hell of a program for buying back your truck (and then crushing it) and even offered significant incentives for you to buy a new Toyota product. Although that program has ended, they're now replacing frames. For any manufacturer to do this for trucks that have been out of factory warranty for so long is unheard of.

Getting back to your truck, that really sucks, but my 2005 F-150 had one hell of a case of frame rust when I sold it. It too was caused by road salt. But I believe Ford changed something in their frame finishing process to cause this. None of my other Ford truck frames rusted nearly as bad or as quickly.

As for your chances of Ford doing something about it, don't waste your time. I will personally guarantee you that they won't do anything. Well, they might laugh.

Oh and by the way, you can have that frame section repaired quite easily.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Robs4X4
Well all my hopes and dreams of driving my truck seem to be coming to an abrupt end. Had it in for an oil change, when the mechanic tells me that I have a rust hole in my frame. The silence after the statement gave me a clue that it wasn't a small hole. I knew I shouldn't have looked at the 2015 F150 Pictures!

After looking, I was taken back. Almost the entire length of the frame next to the gas tank is rusted through, maybe as high as 3/4 of an inch. The northeast Ohio salt filled winters did their worst I guess.

Now is there hope? Other than replacing the entire frame? I know you can weld and patch a frame, but all bets are off with structural integrity and resale. Although both are gone with the rust now I am guessing. Hopefully there is material so that I can make a repair...

I am going to call Ford, just for the fun of it. Any suggestions are appreciated. In lieu of flowers, please contribute to Rob's 2015 F150 Fund.
Pictures:

Damn that sucks, I know how Cleveland winters can destroy your vehicles, I'm just over in North Olmsted.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Talked with Ford, they basically added my "situation" to the log and if something comes of it they will contact me. If I have it repaired, save my receipt for a refund... Love it.

I agree with the repair comments, I am thinking it will not be a big deal to repair, just drop the tank and replace the damaged metal. Treat the repair and rest of the frame to a healthy does of POR15. Just need Project time before the snow flies!

Yes, Northeast Ohio's salty winters eat everything in sight! LOL

Old 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM
that rust is nothing. least it never rusted in 3 pieces.....ask me how I know.

best of luck with it though.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:59 PM

I read "a hole," as in one, and thought "eh, not a big deal." Saw the pic and . . .

I'm glad mine has spent its life in Texas, cause that there is some crazy looking rust.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM
damm ever heard about rustproofing?

I'm in quebec and we use a lot of salt too and my 07 have no sign of rust.
I had a 87 Ranger for 16 year and there was no frame issue at all!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Thank God for the fully-boxed frame is all I've got to say. Given that Ohio isn't exactly the Arctic Circle, I'm thinking the frame on the truck probably wasn't coated as well as newer trucks in this body style, as one poster previously pointed out. That said, I think that's a fixable issue.

Quick Reply: 04 FX4 Frame Blues