2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuel Pump bad? No start, Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump bad? No start, Need advice

So here's the issue...

2004 5.4 was running fine, then went out and had a crank but no start. Of course came by to consult our fantastic resources over here, and I have tried just about everything I can think of:
(I get a P1233 with a KOEO test, and I do not hear FP run with Key On)

-Engine starts with starter fluid in air intake (MAF sensor removed)
-Changed fuel filter just to rule it out.
-Inertia switch is depressed, and I have continuity. Also have 12v flowing through.
-Connector below drivers door looks good, no corrosion or broken wires.
-FPDM is not corroded (I live in New Orleans).
-12v on white wire under driver door, and at FPDM.
-Ground is good at FPDM and on crossmember.
-12v on Fuel Pump Out from FPDM.

* I have already tried a new FPDM from AutoZone *

I have seen some posts on here that changing the fuel pump did not solve the issue. So, before I go through that, I thought I would see what ya'll thought - would I still have a P1233 FPDM offline code if the fuel pump was bad? If I just shoot 12v to the Fuel Pump + and - on the FPDM connector while it is disconnected, should the FP fire? Any other suggestions?

Thanks to everyone's help in the existing threads, and here!

Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Did a quick net search and found a similar issue a guy had on a 2005, turned out to be the wiring harness on the left frame rail had a broken wire connection.

"In looking for my fuel pump wiring harness connector location on my truck, I come across the main rear chassis wiring harness running along the frame rail. This harness is between 3/4" to 1" diameter and is exposed on the outer side of the frame rail. About mid-cab (SuperCrew), there are 2 large harness connections - completely exposed to the elements. One of these locates the power connections to your tank internally-mounted fuel pump. It just so happens that I find 1 wire on one of these connectors that has completely broken away from the end of the connector - the wire insulator became very hard and brittle and cracked and the wire inside corroded over time and finally broke off."

Old 07-08-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by R1Jester
Did a quick net search and found a similar issue a guy had on a 2005, turned out to be the wiring harness on the left frame rail had a broken wire connection.
I looked at it, and tested there for 12v at the white wire... All looks good, and I pulled a bit on each one, they appear to be in good shape.

I will go ahead and take another look at it this afternoon.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump bad? No start, Need advice