2004 - 2008 F-150

Mechanic Results of possible manifold leak....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I should I guess but the truck has been doing this since before I got the cats put on. Although I dont know if the muffler has had holes in it that long.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Welp. I got the exhaust leaks and all fixed. I ended up have them drop the down pipe and fixing the welds on the cats and then running new pipe all the way back to a maggie y and muffler and dual outs. It sounds much better. However, the tick is still present. I was told that it could a loose spark plug (?) so I will be checking the tq on those at some point this week.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rfinger
Welp. I got the exhaust leaks and all fixed. I ended up have them drop the down pipe and fixing the welds on the cats and then running new pipe all the way back to a maggie y and muffler and dual outs. It sounds much better. However, the tick is still present. I was told that it could a loose spark plug (?) so I will be checking the tq on those at some point this week.
Good job on getting your exhaust repaired.

As for tick, is it the cam phaser tick? Or are you certain it is within the exhaust system?

This is my warped right manifold leak.

And a cam phaser sound. ( not mine. )

Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM
I meant to say that I have had a smoke test visual inspection and seafoam ran through the truck and no manifold leaks....i have been told lifters (fixed last year), vcts (brand new as of like 3 months ago), phasers (had them checked out and was told they were fine), plugs(they were installed about 1yr ago). So the first place Im going to start is making sure they are at the proper tq then move on to yet something else. That is unless someone else has an opinion.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Well I finally figured out what it was. The two back spark plugs I think 4 and 8 were completely loose. I tightened them up and now it runs great with 0 ticking.....thanks for all of the help guys.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rfinger
Well I finally figured out what it was. The two back spark plugs I think 4 and 8 were completely loose. I tightened them up and now it runs great with 0 ticking.....thanks for all of the help guys.
That's amazing, I would have never guessed that would be a possibility. Glad it is fixed however!

Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Same here. I thought that when I took it to a reputable mechanic that they would do it correctly but hey guess not.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 AM

Dang, definitely didn't think that would've been it. Glad it's running right though.

Quick Reply: Mechanic Results of possible manifold leak....