2004 - 2008 F-150

Bought a Used F150 has engine loss of power and rough acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bought a Used F150 has engine loss of power and rough acceleration

I Recently Bought a Used f150 fx4 supercrew with 130,000 miles on it. It ran decent for an older truck when I test drove to buy, 2 days later its accelrating rough and threw me these codes:
P0022 Fix assist Check for faulty vtc or wiring
P022 Camshaft position over-retarded (Bank 2)
P0171 System to lean (Bank 1)
P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor (Bank 2)
P0606 Pcm/ Processor

I know all of these things don't usually go bad in one day and from minor experience and reading some of the other threads it seems like on small fix could solve the whole issue. I am currently going to start work for a truck repair service and I'll see if they can come up with anything. So far I have read that it could be possible coils and broken plugs issue, or a possible phaser having thrown off the timing chain by one tooth, or even something as simple as a blown fuse. My local Ford dealership tried to estimate a $4000 pcm/full inspection but we all know how much money they try to sucj out of your wallet.
Main Issues:
-Bucking in of drive under light accelration (Not all the time but frequently)*I believe this may be something with the torque converter and not then engine problem*
-Truck seems to run better when OD is off
-Hesitation and small sputter on revving in neutral
-Still has Very smooth idle, the only time it had a rough idle was right before the CEL came on.
-Very rough medium to heavy acceleration and truck seems to have almost no power when its happening. (It did occasionally clear up and accelerate normally)
-I can hear a slight tick at idle and while driving but that may be something unrelated.

Ill post again when I check all the fuses. I the plugs were changed at 90k and the oil recently at 125k due for another one. I'm going full synthetic, and also have been running a bit of injector cleaner through the gas as well as putting synthetic tranny "Fixall" through the tranny fluid.
Getting nervous because I don't have the funds to pay for a major fix and just dropped a fair bit into this sweet truck. Can't Hate Ford, just its faults.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's not Mercon V, don't put it in the transmission. If the engineers who designed the transmission wanted you to use additives, it would say so in the owner's manual or a TSB. Same thing for any fluid in that vehicle.

Bucking in drive as you describe would make sense with a lean condition and having a cam out of time. Here's what I would do before throwing a PCM at it (which it may very well need):

Service manual
Oil contamination in VCT systems can cause positioning errors. VCT systems require an oil filter specific to the application. (Always use 5w-20 oil - DO NOT use additives)

Check the operation of the VCT solenoid and check for a stuck or sticking solenoid valve caused by contamination. If the valve is stuck, check the spider bracket for contamination prior to installing a new solenoid. (Try cleaning it before replacing it, though that part has been revised by Ford)

Check vehicle oil filter identification for proper type. (Also a quality filter such as Motorcraft or Wix)

If the VCT and timing codes persist
Pull the valve covers and timing cover, ensure that the engine is in time.. If somebody replaced a cam phaser, it's possible that it was installed out of time if they weren't paying attention. Or it could've jumped timing (which I find highly unlikely in the absence of obvious timing chain noise). If the motor is in time, replace the phaser and VCT solenoid. This is also the ideal time to replace the timing guides and tensioners since they're in your face.

For your lean code, check for vacuum leaks. Rotted lines or PCV elbows will easily cause this. Best method is to use propane (not lit obviously) and go around vacuum lines, ports, throttle body, and intake gaskets. If the engine suddenly changes speed, you've found the source of your lean condition.

If you still have the P0606, replace the PCM. This will need to be programmed by a dealer or a shop with the proper equipment. It also requires that you have two working keys. No, those PATS keys you get at Wal-Mart or a hardware store don't count as a second key - they just clone the key you give them.

That's what I would do. Others may attack your issues in a different sequence. However I doubt anybody here would be looking at your transmission as the issue. It's like saying "I had a tooth pulled today. I wonder if that's why my knee hurts." Know what I mean?

Quick Reply: Bought a Used F150 has engine loss of power and rough acceleration