2004 - 2008 F-150

Exhaust suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kentucky doesn't have any sort of emission check on vehicles since Louisville is the only significantly populated area in the state. That keeps my options open for whatever route I go in the near future or down the road. It's really interesting to hear about all the different areas of the country where these checks exist in case my job eventually takes me out of state. The only issue I've ever run into is the cops pulling vehicles over with any sort of exhaust because of the noise. Granted, I was in my brother's 1985 F-250 with a 460 and 3'' exhaust. Needless to say, you could hear the old girl coming a mile away so they might have taken issue with that.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
^Try telling your Indiana neighbors to adopt that policy . . .

Edit: actually, it looks like they don't have an inspection except for in 3 counties. So that may be awesome for my little sitchiation haha.
I've never had to have a emissions check on my truck in my 29ish years.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunesgirl
I'm not totally sure about Colorado's emissions standards, but currently in Utah we have a few counties that require emissions testing. I just happen to live in one of them. And you're right, I even know which shops would be more lenient. I guess when I get the extra cash (once I'm done with all the maintenance stuff first), I can take it to an exhaust shop and see what they say. I'm generally looking for a SIDO setup.
As long as you have counties that don't do emissions checks, the state shouldn't be that bad. Colorado must be the one that has check stations all over the place for emissions. I don't have cats at all and live in one of the 9 or 11 counties (out of like 100) in Texas that do emissions. I paid $60 extra for the guy to look the other way and just gimme a sticker. Just have to find someone willing to do it if you ever ran into an issue, which you likely wouldn't. Another thing is getting the truck inspected in a county that doesn't do emission. I've heard that it has to be inspected in the same county it's registered in, but I don't think that's true.

The best thing about what you want to do is that doing it in pieces doesn't cost any extra. I'd just get a simple SIDO setup, see how you like it from a sound standpoint, and go from there. Fishing for any kind of performance gains from an exhaust system on these trucks is a complete waste of time IMO.

I have long tube headers, no cats, resonators right after the collectors (which I'd like to remove), and a tiny 9" Borla/Roush SIDO muffler. Even the long tubes, lack of cats, and custom tunes, I barely noticed a thing from a performance standpoint. I only wanted them for the sound, so it's fine with me, but if someone had installed them on my truck without me knowing and the sound stayed the same, I probably wouldn't have noticed. Only noteworthy change that was noticeable was transmission shift patterns from tuning.

Thanks Shanks, I did confirm today that there is no inspection and no emission. Not sure why I thought they definitely did. So aside from having to have a flipping IN license plate on my Texas truck , I'm good. Beats the $3200 I'd have to pay with my own insurance policy down here.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 05-08-2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
^Try telling your Indiana neighbors to adopt that policy . . .

Edit: actually, it looks like they don't have an inspection except for in 3 counties. So that may be awesome for my little sitchiation haha.
Nah, just move to Michigan. You'll like it up here.

Last edited by thelariat02; 05-08-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
. . . Michigan. You'll like it up here.
I was up there a few weeks ago. I thought I was in the North Pole . . . are the lakes still frozen over up there yet? 80 degrees down by me today.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC

I was up there a few weeks ago. I thought I was in the North Pole . . . are the lakes still frozen over up there yet? 80 degrees down by me today.
The last of the ice left a few weeks ago. Its been a long winter up here in the U.P. Its been about 40° or so lately. Perfect working weather.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Llama_Lariat07
I'm partial to Borla and Magnaflow products, but I'd love to see what all is out there. Thanks in advance.

-LL07
If you go with either of those two you can't go wrong. Anything but Stacks through your bed will be an improvement.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 PM
The last of the ice left a few weeks ago. Its been a long winter up here in the U.P. Its been about 40° or so lately. Perfect working weather.
That's good to hear. I drove from Menominee to Mackinac and the lake was completely frosted over yet.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4SC

That's good to hear. I drove from Menominee to Mackinac and the lake was completely frosted over yet.
Dang I'm from Menominee, and then you drove thru my home town of Manistique on US2.

We still have huge ice shoves on the beaches, so its not all gone ha.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:02 AM

It's going to be 90 tomorrow, and has hit that number a few times already, the thought of ice still being somewhere . . .

But my family can move wherever they like, but I'll be keeping my butt right here

Old 05-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Nah, just move to Michigan. You'll like it up here.
I miss that whole region.

Lived in Angola, IN off Crooked Lake, worked some time in Coldwater, MI.

Nice country, good solid people...super fond memories...

Old 05-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Simply67X
I miss that whole region.

Lived in Angola, IN off Crooked Lake, worked some time in Coldwater, MI.

Nice country, good solid people...super fond memories...
Yep, may all be small towns, but they are nice places to live.

Quick Reply: Exhaust suggestions