2004 - 2008 F-150

Got the replacement rims on. My shake went away!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the replacement rims on. My shake went away!

After having the tire dealer I bought the Hercs from rebalance these things 3x, Discount tires took a whack at it twice and still couldn't get the shake gone. It was minor, but was there. I then took it to 4Wheel Parts to get my rim replaced after the theft attempt gone bad that ruined my drivers front wheel...

The tech that did the work actually after the first attempt aired the tire down, put it back on the tire machine, loosened the bead and rotated the tire about 90 deg on the rim. (did this with both fronts...). Put them back on the balancer, and the tires then took less than 1/2 ounce each!

The trip home was dreamy, like driving a different truck all together. I never knew mud tires could roll this smoothly!

So if your 2004-2008 F150 has the highway speed shakes, and your tire shop is telling you the balance is right, LOOK to see how much weight they have on it... If they have more than 1oz on it, have them try to rotate the tire on the rim, otherwise known as "clocking" the tire. I should have thought of this as I did wheel / tire / brake / front end work for years when I was younger. But too many years have gone by I guess...

Quick Reply: Got the replacement rims on. My shake went away!