2004 - 2008 F-150

Dreaded spark plug change on 2007 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreaded spark plug change on 2007 5.4L

Hello everyone,

The time has come to change the spark plugs on my 2007 5.4L as the truck has developed a slight miss. It's especially apparent when the truck gears down from 4th to 3rd. No codes thrown, but the truck is nearing 100k miles and from what I've read on here as well as other sites all signs point to spark plugs.

That said, I've ordered the lisle extraction tool, necessary spark plug socket and the Motorcraft SP-515 spark plugs. My garage is pretty well equipped with air tools and I've watched several videos of guys carrying out what some claim to be a daunting task. I've heard that the plugs are a little less likely to break off if the engine is still warm from recently running. If anyone can speak to the validity of this or has any other tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should have done your plugs at 60,000 miles. Ford changed the plug intervals since so many were breaking at 100,000.
One thing you can do is run techron in 3 tanks of gas prior to plug change..
Best of luck to you!

Old 04-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Search this site for the procedures for soaking with carb cleaner and then trying to turn them out. All that did not do me much good when I had cam phaser and lifter replacement under original warranty - 4 plugs broke off. At 98,000 miles engine stalled, had it towed in, dealer diagnosed plug misfire and replaced plugs - 5 broke. 40 miles later engine died totally due to burned valves and warped head. Replaced engine with Ford reman engine for lots of $$$. These POS plugs and this POS engine have been a nightmare. Did Ford ever do a recall on all the design and engineering flaws -No! Ford will never have me as a customer again. By the way I have those 8 plugs with only 40 miles on them if anybody would like to buy them.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by bogman
Search this site for the procedures for soaking with carb cleaner and then trying to turn them out. All that did not do me much good when I had cam phaser and lifter replacement under original warranty - 4 plugs broke off. At 98,000 miles engine stalled, had it towed in, dealer diagnosed plug misfire and replaced plugs - 5 broke. 40 miles later engine died totally due to burned valves and warped head. Replaced engine with Ford reman engine for lots of $$$. These POS plugs and this POS engine have been a nightmare. Did Ford ever do a recall on all the design and engineering flaws -No! Ford will never have me as a customer again. By the way I have those 8 plugs with only 40 miles on them if anybody would like to buy them.
That does suck and I would have been pissed too but its the luck of the draw. There are tons of f150s and other fords with the 5.4 3v motor in it. Sounds like you need to sell it and buy something else...... Maybe a gov motors or KIA ram truck...

sorry OP I've did both methods left them soak and also warmed up method. Its a crap shoot, either way. Only thing I can say is work the plugs back and forth 1/4 turn each way until the plug comes out. As long as the plug is screeching while coming out all is good, usually when it quits making noise it probably broke... Lol

Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 AM
That does suck.. My 07 85,000 so far no problems.. But if you're going to troll go troll some where else.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I'd always seen/heard the 100,000 miles standard. I would have done the change sooner but I bought the truck only about 10k miles ago. Truck ran fine until around a month ago when the miss began. Other than this situation, I couldn't be more pleased with the performance. I do agree with most people in that ford should have done a recall on these trucks. After all, it seems they did make an improved version of the motor craft spark plug when it was clear the original sp-507 was faulty. Appreciate the help, wish me luck!

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Recalls are done only for items that affect safety. Spark plugs don't fit that unless you consider thoughts of suicide.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Ford did a recall for the pad in the right rear fender which was not a safety issue but a rust issue. Only recall I have had in 10 years. I consider an engine dying at highway speed and having to wrestle it to the roadside to be a safety issue.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Ford did a recall for the pad in the right rear fender which was not a safety issue but a rust issue. Only recall I have had in 10 years. I consider an engine dying at highway speed and having to wrestle it to the roadside to be a safety issue.
I would consider an engine dying being a safety issue as well. Plugs breaking during removal does not cause an engine to die.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I see them often way over 100K getting first plugs at local shops when delivering parts, I'll do mine at 50-60K. I know of one 5.4 3V that died after only 417,000 miles in an '06 owned and worked by a local farmer ..... such bad luck.

Sure, it could happen at an inopportune time when hazards are all about , but in the history of motorized travel it's always been a circumstance that a driver is somewhat prepared for (a real "driver" mentally prepares themselves for such possibilities by paying attention, having a plan, because they "know").

True, motor vehicles are far more reliable today than ever before, but they are still man made and components can fail and do so with out warning (which is why I tend to "drive" with my mind on the task and conditions arouind me rather than allowing myself to become distracted).

Last edited by tbear853; 05-02-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:27 PM
What makes an engine die is loss of compression due to oil starvation resulting in burned valves, warped head, camshaft and cam bearing wear on a babied engine. Rotten performance for this engine IMHO.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:47 PM
What makes an engine die is loss of compression due to oil starvation resulting in burned valves, warped head, camshaft and cam bearing wear on a babied engine. Rotten performance for this engine IMHO.
These engines don't usually get oil starvation unless you have been dry starting your engine because you bought a junk fram filter.

I know the plugs and phaser guides aren't the best.
Are you one of the guys that signed that dam* petition to get Ford to recall every 11th gen out there?
If you're aren't happy go buy a government motor or fiat, and quite trolling the forum

Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Lol, rotten performance from the engine. YGBSM. Rotten 5.4L that's been (in one form or another) around since '97 and has been a solid platform ever since. Sure, there's been a few hiccups (spark plug blowout, cam phasers) but nothing that typically grenades the engine. Sometimes an engine just lets go or has a catastrophic failure, but it's not indicative of a bad engine design in this instance.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Impacted mine out on a hot engine. 72K miles. Broke none. Broke 3 on my dad's with 58K miles. Lisle tool to the rescue.

Quick Reply: Dreaded spark plug change on 2007 5.4L