2004 - 2008 F-150

Lost electrical power while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lost electrical power while driving...

Was driving at about 70mph at about 5am so it was dark. All of the sudden all gauges dropped to 0 , the radio died, dash lights went out, head lights went out...for about 1 second then everything came back on like all was normal. The engine never died, it kept running. But the ABS sound came from the ABS pump, but no shutter to the peddle or ABS activation of the brakes. No warning lights came on at all. I scanned it using a OBDII to Bluetooth adapter and my phone using the Torque app, it came back with 5 codes.

-B1676 - Battery Pack Voltage Out Of Range
-U1950 - UPB Communication Bus Fault
-B1352 - Audible Warning Device or Ignition Key-In Circuit Failure
-B1317 - Battery Voltage High
-B1360 - Ignition Run/Acc Circuit Open

I don't even know where to start. Have any of you ever ran into this problem? What did you do to fix it? What was the fault?

With Batt voltage out of range and to high sounds like a voltage regulator / alternator. But with Ignition circuit open and ignition key-in circuit failure sounds like a bad ignition switch to me.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Old 03-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Sounds like an alternator or voltage regulator issue.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Might want to get the battery and alternator load tested - parts stores can do this in the parking lot.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:15 AM
The battery is about 1 month old. It's a Duralast Platinum AGM. The alternator is original with 93k miles and 7 years on it.
Would the alternator cause a power loss in that way? The engine kept running so the PCM, fuel pump, COP and such were still getting power.
I will take it down today and have the alternator and battery tested either way.
Also, isn't the voltage regulated by the PCM on these trucks? I didn't think that there was a separate voltage regulator.

Last edited by PhqChevys; 03-23-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:03 PM
I had it testing. Battery is good and alternator failed. Output voltage from the alternator was varying in a wide range from 9v - 17v. The voltage regulator was failing, but the alternator was still producing current.

I was able to swap the alternator in about 30 minutes. Easy job on these trucks! Fired up the truck and now getting a solid 14.2 volts. Time will tell if that fixes the problem, or if it charging at 17 volts created another problem.

Quick Reply: Lost electrical power while driving...