2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission works fine, makes light humming sound & leaks into transfer a case. 200k

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission works fine, makes light humming sound & leaks into transfer a case. 200k

Hello.
My truck has hit a greatly reliable 200,000 miles on the original trans and motor.

The transmission is making a light whining sound under load. But, it shifts and drive perfect.
The transmission has been service several times since new. New filter and fluid each time.

I noticed that the transmission was low all of the sudden. I checked my transfer case and discovered that it was over full the exact amount that my transfer case was full.

I found a local guy that likes to build this model of transmission. He says he can do the j-mod and service it for $350. Or, completely rebuild my transmission for $1000. He says he puts all new internals and torque converter too.
He seems to think that my trans might just have an issue with the pressure valve?
He says he can do the $350 j mdo and if that doesn't work, he will take $350 off the $1000 rebuild price if I need it rebuilt afterwards.
He also seems to think my rear seal is leaking into the transfer case.

At 200k miles.....if I do anything to the tranny...aren't I better off rebuilding?
How long do these typical last?
I own lots of trucks and machinery and am very serious about being easy on vehicles. I never jerk my stuff around.

If I was to decide to rebuild....should I rebuild or get a store bought reman with exchange?
If so, where? Price? Who has the best quality?
Any tips? Ideas?

Thank you so much.

Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Transmission whine. Leaks into t-case. 200k miles. J-mod?

[QUOTE=Mountainmover;5066961]Hello.
My truck has hit a greatly reliable 200,000 miles on the original trans and motor.

The transmission is making a light whining sound under load. But, it shifts and drive perfect.
The transmission has been service several times since new. New filter and fluid each time.

I noticed that the transmission was low all of the sudden. I checked my transfer case and discovered that it was over full the exact amount that my transfer case was full.

I found a local guy that likes to build this model of transmission. He says he can do the j-mod and service it for $350. Or, completely rebuild my transmission for $1000. He says he puts all new internals and torque converter too.
He seems to think that my trans might just have an issue with the pressure valve?
He says he can do the $350 j mdo and if that doesn't work, he will take $350 off the $1000 rebuild price if I need it rebuilt afterwards.
He also seems to think my rear seal is leaking into the transfer case.

At 200k miles.....if I do anything to the tranny...aren't I better off rebuilding?
How long do these typical last?
I own lots of trucks and machinery and am very serious about being easy on vehicles. I never jerk my stuff around. I maintain everything seriously.

If I was to decide to rebuild....should I rebuild or get a store bought reman with exchange?
If so, where? Price? Who has the best quality?
Any tips? Ideas?

Thank you so much

Old 03-03-2014, 03:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I would go with rebuilt.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
All you need is a new seal between the tranny and TC. This is a common issue.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM
x2 on the seal just had mine done at 95ooo miles.

Quick Reply: Transmission works fine, makes light humming sound & leaks into transfer a case. 200k