2004 - 2008 F-150

Trying to get a feel of where to price my truck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:50 PM
Big
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to get a feel of where to price my truck.

I'm thinking about selling my 2005 King Ranch. I've checked out all the usual places: kbb, edmunds, nada, craigslist, and autotrader. Thing is, there just aren't too many to compare against, as mine seems to have relatively low miles at 78K. Most that are selling around here (northwest Atlanta suburbs) have well over 100K on them, and the closest comparable is someone selling his with 85K on the clock for 23K. My gut/research tells me that might be a little high.

So, I just wanted to get some ball-park ideas; I don't want to do a lot of haggling, I want to set as fair of a price as possible, and not looking to "juice" someone out of a couple hundred bucks. Time is on my side, I don't have to do this, but I don't want it priced so it's sitting around for a year either.

I'm thinking flat out even 20K. It's a very well taken care of truck, no mods, nothing, all stock, super clean, and runs great (knock on wood!). I have not seen a King Ranch with leather in better shape than mine, other than new if that tells you anything. The only thing it will need in the next year or so is tires.

20K sound good?

Thanks,

Old 06-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a nice truck. I manage a car dealership in WA State. Did a little research for you. One just sold with 80k on it at a dealer auction in fair condition for 17,600$. The wholesale value (dealer to dealer) is about 18,500$. Retail on the truck is 25k$ however I don't think anyone can get that. I have a fully loaded white lariat on my like that is an 08 with 60k for 24k. I think you could ask 20k$ and hold pretty firm around there. Someone would be getting a good buy. If you get a 19,500$ offer i would probly take it though.

Good luck!! Any questions feel free to let me know!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hmm, I'd have to say ask $19-20K here in OK, accept $18K or better. It's lower miles for a 2005 KR, but you can find 2007/8's Lariats/KR's with similar mileage for about $20K. I would imagine that Atlanta (and Georgia in general) has a healthy supply of trucks like Okla/Texas do.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:15 PM
You should check out a website called cargurus. It's great for check out prices in your area or others and you can specify the exact truck and see what market value is compared to the sales price.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Big
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to all, this is real helpful stuff! Interestingly enough, cargurus came in at $20,669!

Here's another idea I wanted to throw out there: since I don't want to waste anyone's time, and I expect the same in return, I'm concerned I'm going to get a lot of "tire kickers".

Here in GA, there is no lemon law for used vehicles (only for new), so I'm thinking of charging $20 for a test drive (with me as passenger, of course), which comes off of the total price should they decide to complete the sale. I figure if someone is serious enough, $20 is more than reasonable, and, hopefully, keeps away the daydreamers. Sound like a good idea?

Oh, and I don't know if this really matters, but I'm getting rid of it simply because I really have close to zero use for it (not because I hate it or anything, I actually love the thing!). I just drive it for leisure on occasion, and the total monthly operating cost is just too much for me to justify.

Last edited by Big; 06-03-2013 at 10:30 PM. Reason: expansion
Old 06-08-2013, 11:12 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
To give you an idea of wholesale value in your area, take it over to Carmax and get an offer for it. If they offer you an acceptable price, just sell it to them and avoid the hassles of selling it yourself.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:36 AM
if its a king ranch 4x4 it will be easy to sell.

Quick Reply: Trying to get a feel of where to price my truck.