2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark Plug Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plug Help!!!

I'm attempting to change the spark plugs in my son's 2005 FX4. I've read the TSB and all the step by step posts. I have the lisle tool and all the other necessary tools. I followed the step by step instructions and the plugs seem to be backing out to the end of the threads with no problem. Only problem is that they won't come all the way out. I've had the same problem with the first two I've tried. They don't appear to be broken, I just can't get them out. I've even tried pulling them out with needle nose pliers and they won't budge. Should I back them out as far as they go and soak them with more carb cleaner?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Sounds as if they are hanging on carbon on the shank. I would try more carb cleaner to soften it up. Once the plug change is compete, be sure to change the oil.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
My mechanic used a piece of black fuel line tubing and stuck it in the hole and pulled out the old plugs very easily! The tube grips the porcelain very nicely..

Old 03-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Well, 6 of the 8 broke. That's after soaking with PB Blaster and Carb Cleaner for about 12 hours. Bluejay was right. The metal electrode was hanging down in the piece of ceramic that was stuck in the head. I had to shoot a little more carb cleaner and let it soak for a few minutes, then they were much easier to pull free. The Lisle tool worked like a charm for the broken plugs. I decided to go ahead and change the plugs in my 2005 Lariat today. Only broke 3 plugs on that one. Glad thats over with. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Help!!!