2004 - 2008 F-150

Broke plug.. need ideas...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke plug.. need ideas...

Ok guys I've scoured this site and many others on removing broken plugs. I had already purchased the Lisle tool and it worked great on the first plug that broke. Unfortunately the second plug that broke ain't comin' out.

The top of the broken tip where the puller screw is supposed to thread in is stripped. Call it user error or just bad luck. Anyhow I've tried re-tapping the tip and using a 3/8 all thread trick I read but it too didn't have enough to grab onto.

I'm to the point where I'm willing to try anything, I really don't have the money to spend at a shop. I'd have to sell a few of my prized possessions.

The ceramic is pushed down as far as the Lisle tool will allow. If I could push the ceramic even further down or remove it completely I know I could get the Lisle or even the 3/8 all-thread to grip this thing and yank it out.

I've got a long punch I've used to "feel" the broken tip and it could be used with a hammer to try and persuade the ceramic down farther but I reckon I run the risk of the ceramic or perhaps the whole tip falling into the combustion chamber.

Could I drill the ceramic?

If none of that stuff is doable..can I at least drive the thing to a shop? I've put it all back together (minus the one cylinder,injector/coil unplugged) and it fires up fine.

Help?

B.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Update...

I started up the motor and ran it for a minute. I decided to take my punch and tap on the ceramic a little and it moved down!? I started up the truck and did the punch again and yup it moved again. So this time.. which I should have done to begin with was stuck my iPhone over the hole and snapped a photo so I could see the issue better.

It appears the ceramic is back at the lip of the shield. The motor blew it back up..now if it would blow it on out. Ideas?

B.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by officer137
Update...

I started up the motor and ran it for a minute. I decided to take my punch and tap on the ceramic a little and it moved down!? I started up the truck and did the punch again and yup it moved again. So this time.. which I should have done to begin with was stuck my iPhone over the hole and snapped a photo so I could see the issue better.

It appears the ceramic is back at the lip of the shield. The motor blew it back up..now if it would blow it on out. Ideas?

B.
Might have to pull the heads.... Don't drill ceramic!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by officer137
Update...

B.
It might actually work but I would make sure and put a good sized piece of 3/4 in plywood above the plug hole to take the force of the ceramic if it does blow out. Once you have the plywood securely in place, rev it up a few times (NOT redline!), probably a lot better chance of it blowing out. If I remember correctly there was a post on this forum several years ago (as the whole broken plug thing was getting started), before anyone had figured out the extraction tools we now have, who was successful in blowing out the ground barrel that way. (the ceramic didn't break off, just barrel seperation). DON'T hold the plywood, prop it securely in place and get out of the way!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
i had one that did the same thing. lisle too. kept pulling out with out the plug, i drove the ceramic down deeper, ground part of the lisle extractor tool shoulder down a bit to allow the tool to tap deeper and was finally able to get it out that way

Quick Reply: Broke plug.. need ideas...