2004 - 2008 F-150

Failed Emissions - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Emissions - HELP!

Just took my truck in for the super awesome emissions test and it failed. 4 parts of the OBD2 test failed. The truck hasn't had any check engine lights the entire time I owned it, the last time the battery was unhooked was over a year ago, it is driven daily. In fact, I drove it 300 miles home from college yesterday. The diagnostic said these four things failed to provide a reading:

Catalyst Monitor - Incomplete
Evaporative System Monitor - Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor Monitor - Incomplete
Oxygen Sensor Heat Monitor - Incomplete

It is also not throwing ANY codes whatsoever, hooked the reader up to it and it doesn't have any current codes or pending codes.

Has anyone else had this issue? My mechanic (ASE Ford) said he has never seen this before with a vehicle that hasn't had recent issues or the battery unhooked recently. Truck has just under 113k on it. It's a 2005 FX4 with the 5.4

Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats crazy... Well, does it run rich? Being a 2005 it could have melted some catalyst cells out and it may be passing exhaust gases enough to trip a strict emissions sniffer.

Otherwise my only other guess would be was it fully warmed up when tested or cold. Not very certain if that matters though, but catalysts operate at full temp. I smell exhaust & gases when cold starting my truck, but it never gives off exhaust fumes when warm.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Thats crazy... Well, does it run rich? Being a 2005 it could have melted some catalyst cells out and it may be passing exhaust gases enough to trip a strict emissions sniffer.

Otherwise my only other guess would be was it fully warmed up when tested or cold. Not very certain if that matters though, but catalysts operate at full temp. I smell exhaust & gases when cold starting my truck, but it never gives off exhaust fumes when warm.
Nope, doesn't give off any smells when its running. The truck was up to running temperature when it was tested. Also drove the truck for ~25 miles with the diagnostic tool running on my scanner and it still didn't give any data for those monitors. Also, truck is 100% stock. The place where I got it tested is using a reader to run the diagnostic.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It's probably throwing a P1000, which is one or monitors not ready. I'd take it to a different shop for the emissions test and see if their equipment says the same thing.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check for a bad fuse for the obdII port. (wild guess)

Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Could that potentially be a PCM issue?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad battery? These vehicles do all kinds of weird stuff when the batteries are going bad.

Trending Topics

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
GLC - Not throwing any codes at all, checked both current and pending.
Stealth - replaced but it didn't change anything.
Truckguy - That's what I feel like it is pointing towards....
kingfish - Battery was replaced at this time last year, so it SHOULDN'T be that.

I'm at a loss. Really beginning to get fed up with all the crap that goes wrong with this truck.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:41 PM

Battery shouldn't be bad, but stranger things have happened. Better have it checked.

I know when my Edge Evo was acting up it was from a battery going south. Truck didn't die on me or anything. The Edge Evo plugs into the obdII port. Replaced my battery and everything was fine.

Like said these trucks are very battery sensitive.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Battery shouldn't be bad, but stranger things have happened. Better have it checked.

I know when my Edge Evo was acting up it was from a battery going south. Truck didn't die on me or anything. The Edge Evo plugs into the obdII port. Replaced my battery and everything was fine.

Like said these trucks are very battery sensitive.
I had the battery unhooked for an hour to reset everything, gonna go drive it around for an hour or so and see if the monitoring improves.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Before you have the inspection redone you will have to get some drive cycles in.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 PM
I actually read an article in a trade magazine while at the dealer this morning on the new OBD diagnostic testing.

Long story short, dealers are pleading with the government to scrap this style of testing because of the time it takes to get a vehicle ready to test. If my memory will co-operate, the "correct" test procedure is something like this:

- leave vehicle overnight for min. 8 hours
- run vehicle for 20 mins with a/c on max and rear defroster on
- shut down for 20 mins
- drive vehicle for 30 minutes in mixed city/highway conditions
- test

Story after story of techs who have spent days trying to get a vehicle ready to test only to have it fail. Based on this article, I'm not surprised you're having difficulties.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
YOUR scanner is not showing the P1000, but if there are 4 incomplete monitors, it's in there.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by glc
YOUR scanner is not showing the P1000, but if there are 4 incomplete monitors, it's in there.
All three scanners we hooked it up to at my mechanics shop all had no current or pending codes...I thought the same thing at first that it was a faulty scanner or something. The truck isn't throwing a single code for me so I have no idea how to diagnose it. I'm gonna try the suggested procedure listed above.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:56 AM
My sons 2004 5.4 3v had the issues as yours. I checked out the FPDM and it was nasty. I replaced it, he drove it for a week before he took it back in for the test. He passed. I have read some were that the FPDM sends drive cycles to the pcm. Chek it out,it only takes 15min.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions - HELP!