2004 - 2008 F-150

Can't Pinpoint Problem - Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't Pinpoint Problem - Help...

Ok, so I was experiencing some odd issues with my truck. All of which were taken care of recently when I got it serviced. Except one. I am still experiencing a strange 'low growling' sound when slowing down. Starts below 30mph. Does it in 2WD/4WD/Neutral. When I had it serviced I...

--Cleaned out 4WD Vacuum Actuator Solenoid which was causing noise and thud in fron end(will be replaced soon - common problem IWE)
--Tranny Fluid / Filter Changed
--Brake Fluid Changed
--New Engine Air Filter
--All brakes inspected and lubricated
--All joints ect inspected and lubricated

Still growls...??? Thoughts?
2006 Lariat SCab - 63,000 miles
Thanks!
Steve

Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Bad u joint?

Old 03-02-2013, 09:31 PM
I was told the U-Joints all looked to be fine... I'm gonna do some more testing to see when it occurs ie. Braking/Not Braking(I think it is both) - 2wd/4wd/Neutral etc. and report back. Truck seems to be running fine. Maybe getting slightly less gas mileage recently with this symptom. Weird...

Old 03-03-2013, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by enggass
I was told the U-Joints all looked to be fine... I'm gonna do some more testing to see when it occurs ie. Braking/Not Braking(I think it is both) - 2wd/4wd/Neutral etc. and report back. Truck seems to be running fine. Maybe getting slightly less gas mileage recently with this symptom. Weird...
My truck does it whether I am braking or not.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Voo
Tires? have you tried moving them around?

Old 03-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Sounds like one of the IWE's are going bad. If the solenoid was bad (item one on your list) then the gear teeth inside the IWE were probably grinding. Luckily, Ford made one smart decision in an otherwise stupid design, and the IWE teeth are softer than the drive shaft teeth. This means that metal shavings will build up inside the IWE if everything doesn't work perfectly. These shavings can cause the mechanism to not completely retract when vacuum is applied and just barely touch the mating teeth (could depend on lateral forces such as turning too).

My guess is at least one of the IWE were damaged by the effects of the bad solenoid.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by davenay
Sounds like one of the IWE's are going bad. If the solenoid was bad (item one on your list) then the gear teeth inside the IWE were probably grinding. Luckily, Ford made one smart decision in an otherwise stupid design, and the IWE teeth are softer than the drive shaft teeth. This means that metal shavings will build up inside the IWE if everything doesn't work perfectly. These shavings can cause the mechanism to not completely retract when vacuum is applied and just barely touch the mating teeth (could depend on lateral forces such as turning too).

My guess is at least one of the IWE were damaged by the effects of the bad solenoid.
You are referring to the IWE Actuator itself at the wheel, correct? How much are these to replace - ballpark?

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by enggass
You are referring to the IWE Actuator itself at the wheel, correct? How much are these to replace - ballpark?
Yes. They are $60-$74 each.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...parttype,10456

I would say they are about 90 minutes each if you are learning as you go.

I have never seen a dealer price, but I bet it's at least $300 + parts.

Quick Reply: Can't Pinpoint Problem - Help...