2004 - 2008 F-150

Can't figure it out, sound of water in cab, but no water!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Big
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't figure it out, sound of water in cab, but no water!

Hi Folks,

Been lurking for a while reading various threads and such. So, this evening, when I came to a stop at a traffic light, I heard was sounded like a good amount of water sloshing from what sounded like the doors and center console.

Got home, pulled out the shop light, but can't find anything wet. Nothing in the doors, pulled off the bezel of the center console, nothing there either.

Now, it has been raining pretty hard around here lately, and I believe a sunroof leak has developed as the corner edge of the passenger side seat is wet, BUT, it sounds like there's a TON of water sloshing around, and I've no idea where it is or even how to get it out.

I guess there must be heating system tubes as there are two vents behind the console, could it be? You'd think it would spill out under acceleration.

Oh, it's an '05 King Ranch, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you tried popping off the door trim pieces that are down by where you put your feet? they are the ones that run front to back along the carpet. had a buddy spill some water one time and that is where it all ended up.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Run your sunroof back and see if the drains are clogged. If you run it back and use a hose at each front corner it should readily drain down the drain hoses that are at the front corners in the trough. You shouldn't have a leak from the sunroof because that's what the drain tubes are for. It drains down the tubes in the front posts and out the bottom of the front cowl post or rocker drains.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Big
Well, thank you for the replies. It hasn't rained the last two days or so, and I've heard less and less of it, so I'm hoping it's evaporating or draining? I will check out the sunroof drains over the weekend.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I had the same problem in my Nissan truck once. Everytime I sped up or slowed down I could hear water sloshing but couldn't find the source. THEN I hit the brakes hard one time and about 20 gallons of water poured out from under the kick panels and filled the floor of the truck. I finally figured out that the drains in the tubular door sills were plugged and the sills were FULL of water. I cleaned the drains out (and let out about ten gallons of water!) and never had the problem again. If you're hearing water sloshing as you accelerate and deccelerte then the water has got to be in some place that's long such as the dor sills. If you hear when corning then corning then it will be from a place that's wide. Check all your water drains! On the sills on my Nissan they were just 3/16" wide gaps about 3/4" long in the sheet metal where the two sheets joined to form the sill.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Chances are its the same water alot of us have had and heard. I bet if you pulled up the sill cover on the passenger side, you will see water in that troth where the wires run. There is a rubber plug in there you can pull out and the water will drain, but as far as where it comes from, the three most talked about areas are the third brake light.( That is where I think mine was coming in from, so you can get the updated third brake light which has a better seal or just pull out the one you have now and silicone around it. I went for the updated light.) Second is the moon roof drains and third is one guy found it coming from under the wiper cowl where there was some sort of space in a seam, so he sealed it up.If you do enough searching, you will find his post. Good luck it drove me nuts for a while. Every time I came to a stop, it sounded like a water bottle was rolling under my passenger seat.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 PM
I used to hear water within the cab of my deceased '04 on occasion. Thought it was odd and never figured it out.
Haven't heard it in the '05 since I've owned it.

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Big
Figured it out!

Well, at least how to drain it anyway. I'm still not sure whether this is a brilliant design, or just flat out stupid. You can see where I removed the drain plug in the pic, as soon as I did, about 1/4 gallon came pouring out. I put my finger in and felt around, and apparently, there's actually a wire bundle??!!! WTF??

Anyhow, there are two drain plugs on the passenger side, and one on the driver's side, towards the rear. The front "plug" on the driver's side seems to be a big plug which the e-brake cable goes into (or, at least I believe it's the e-brake cable, now that I think about it), and I couldn't get that one off. So, I simply parked the truck on an incline in an effort to move the water to the back and drain. I guess most of it was gone so nothing came out, but I'm still checking it out.

Not exactly sure why that water pooled, but at least I know how to get rid of it.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had water in both sides, and it turned out to be my third brake light leaking. The water can run down the pillars behind the rear doors and collect in that trough.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Big
Originally Posted by jr105
I had water in both sides, and it turned out to be my third brake light leaking. The water can run down the pillars behind the rear doors and collect in that trough.
Thanks, I would imagine there's a good chance that's it, particularly since it's a known issue. Looks like it's time to whip out the silicone tube.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by Big
Thanks, I would imagine there's a good chance that's it, particularly since it's a known issue. Looks like it's time to whip out the silicone tube.
So if I were to look for these drain plugs, how many total am I looking for? Just one on each side?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Big
Sort of... There are two on the passenger's side, one towards the front (as in the pic.) one towards the back. On the driver's side, only one towards the back; there is one towards the front, BUT, it has the e-brake cable going through it, and I wasn't able to get that one off, so I just drove the truck on an incline to let the water out the back hole.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by jr105
Yes Thats exactly what happened to my 04 scab. I tested it with a hose and watcvhed the water pool up on top of the third brake light and then slowly disapear behind it. I replaced all of the light bulbs and then used clear silicone to seal it up. i havnt had any issues or "water" noises since.

Quick Reply: Can't figure it out, sound of water in cab, but no water!