2004 - 2008 F-150

Just bought a 2006 Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 2006 Ford F-150

Just bought it earlier this week, thinking of making a few changes to it and wanted to ask a few questions. Any answers would be very helpful.

1st up, my gauge cluster does not have a tach, I've been looking at ebay and calling some junkyards. What year models of f-150 gauge clusters will fit the STX I have? Just 2006 or will it take other years? How hard is the switch? Does the odometer have to be recalibrated by a Ford Dealer?

Secondly, my truck has a manual on the floor 4wd shifter, the shift **** is pretty banged up and I want to replace it, does the **** come off or screw off or is there some trick?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can use a different cluster (such as XLT, FX-4) but it has to be in the same "family" . There is a number on the cluster and it has to be in that same family. They have changed the cluster several times in the years where the clusters all look the same. Some of them will not work if they are from a different year. Obviously if you get a cluster from a Lariat and yours is a STX, there are things that will not work because your STX isn't producing the info to drive everything on the Lariat cluster. If it's in the same "family", the things your STX has in it's "brain" as drivers should work. By family I mean before Ford changed things internally that do not interface with older or newer like appearing clusters. If your tire diameter and RE ratio is the same as what the cluster came out of it shouldn't require recalibrating. You might be better off going to a speedo shop for recalibration, if necessary. A wrecking yard should know what (year) speedo will work in your truck.
Your shift **** SHOULD unscrew.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Thanks!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I put one in my stx, bought the cluster bezel with switches and the compass mirror from the same dude on ebay, about 150 for all, painted the tan bezel to match wired the switches, Dealer programmed cluster with ids for ac to work. then the door ajar...... well lariat clusters work different than the base clusters. they only can use a networked door ajar signal from the vsm (security module behind back seat) so I found one and wired in a "door ajar box" only door ajar and pwr and gnd and key on I think. added a outside temp sensor and it all surprisingly works!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2006 Ford F-150