2004 - 2008 F-150

Starter not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter not engaging

My daughter has a 2006 F150 XLT with the 4.2 V6. She called and said that when her husband tried to go to work yesterday morning he turned the key and the starter sounded like it was spinning but it wouldn't turn the engine over. I haven't done any kind of mechanic work, other than change brake pads on her 2003 Dodge Caravan, in 30 years. I've been working as a purchasing agent for a telephone co-operative here in S.E. Texas for those 30 years but before that I was a mechanic at a Ford dealership in La. for approx. 3 years. Now, since I am her daddy and I HAVE been a mechanic before, I'm supposed to know EVERYTHING and be able to fix EVERYTHING. And since they are like most all of us having financial difficulties and trying to save money wherever and whenever they can it would be ALOT cheaper if I fixed it for her. I NEED HELP. I think it is the starter or starter solenoid but I'm not sure about vehicles these days. PLEASE HELP a 60 yr. old father help his daughter. Thanks, Ron.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it turning over slow or just sound like its spinning? if its spinning it might not be popping out and engauging the flywheel. you can try and bang on the starter with a mallet or something while some one cranks the key

Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
If the problems didn't start until after you changed the starter than I would say that the starter is flaky. And just because it's new doesn't mean that it's good! You need to stop throwing parts at it and find the problem and then fix it. If nothing else take the starter off and take to an auto parts place that can test it and test it thoroughly.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Joe, you replied to a 5 year old post and the OP has never returned.

Quick Reply: Starter not engaging