2004 - 2008 F-150

Dream Truck build thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dream Truck build thread...

The thought has been nagging at me as to where I am going with what I want with my truck.

I mean I KNOW where I would love to be with this thing, but it's the money thing that has held me, like many of you, back.

So playing along the lines of what would you do if you won the lottery, I got to thinking, what would you do with your truck if you won the lottery?

So play along here, and let us know what YOU would do with your truck if you won the lottery, or long lost great great uncle Hal croaked and left you a fortune etc... Post up your pipe dream here, and maybe a little explanation why...

For starters, I wouldn't trade it in. A lot of guys that bought their '04-'08s around when I did, dumped them off and went with the newer trucks since then. While there are things to like about the newest F150, and even more about the Super Duty, but advantages to keeping my '04 are plentiful.
#1. The 2004-2005 F150 happens to be my 2nd favorite F150 body style, following behind the '92-'96. I like the new body style tailgate, but hate the front end of them except for the Raptor. They look like they have droopy eyes.
#2. The 2004-2008 body style Scab interior is my favorite F150 cab layout, particularly the dash.
#3. Even with seemingly abundant cash, I would cringe every time I thought about driving a brand new truck out to the deer lease.
#4. A brand new modded truck screams somebody just came across buckets of cash, and older modded truck says somebody paid their note off...

With all that being said, I would mod my truck the following way (current mods included).
Cosmetic / Body.
Tactical Armor Group bumpers front AND rear. Front including buckets for 4 Pro Comp 130 watt stainless off road lights, provision for winch, and hi lift jack. Rear including spare tire, 2 jerry can carriers, and CB Antenna mount. Also include some 55 watt backup lights and a winch mount in that bumper. Both bumpers PTM.
Bug shield, window drip guards.
Recon Line Of Fire
EGR "OEM Look" fender flares, PTM.
Ford telescoping towing mirrors with PTM caps.
Custom 2 tone paint, with grille insert PTM.

Suspension / wheels / tires / steering / brakes.
6 Pro Comp 6089 17x9 wheels (same as my 1089s, but Chrome, should be easier to keep clean...).
Fresh set of 35x12.50/17 Hercules Trail Digger MTs. I only got 32K out of my current fronts due to stupid alignment / shock issues. Fix that and jab new rubber on. These tires really are amazing!
LOML has final call on this, but either a Superlift 4.5" or 6" lift with the Bilisteins. The reason for Superlift is the option of a 4.5" lift. Rancho is discontinuing the 4". A pity. I know some guys would say to do a SAS, and I am equipping for keeping moving under nasty circumstances, but there is a difference between flogging my truck off road, and off road driving. I do not intend to flog my truck.
Full fresh set of greaseable poly bushings. I don't want to get back in this thing in another 6 years just to stab new bushings at it because the truck started squeaking again.
Cryoslot rotors. Not drilled, just slotted. Front and rear
EBC Greenstuff 6000 pads front and rear.

Engine / drivetrain.
K&N drop in filter.
Gotts DWV mod.
SCT XCal2.
Optima Yellow Top. Yes I know there are durable batteries for less $$, but the Yellow top offers more CCA, which is important with a winch, lights etc..
Full Royal Purple Fluids.
ARB Air Locker and 4.56 gears front and rear. Big compressor / tank for ARB. Accessory port for airing up tires etc...
Magnaflow true duals, and high flow cats, exit THROUGH rear bumper, Plumbing MUST provide ample clearance to spare tire under bed.
Fresh set of upgraded plugs, and a prayer while I swap them out.
Fresh belts, hoses, and other misc maintenance...

Interior / entertainment / communications.
Leather interior swap, replace worn / collapsing padding.
Wood trim kit in Black Walnut if I can find it.
Custom built CB Radio mount / extension speaker cabinet.
Realistic TRC-465 40 channel AM / SSB CB Radio with Realistic Power Mic. (Leave the Cobra in the box. Hate that thing...)
Realistic 102" Stainless Steel whip antenna with Stainless Steel "pot belly" style spring.
AM/FM/Satelite stereo with DVD, remote playback for back seat, and digital media playback capability, USB input for my phone.
Thoroughly clean the OEM carpet, add fresh floor mats.

Vehicle Self / other recovery.
Engo E9000 winch front and rear. (I already have it. The line pull capacity is right at about 1.5x the trucks weight now, but add the rest of this stuff, and this might need to be swapped out for an E12000).
Hi Lift jack with off road base, and wheel lifting sling.
Shovel.
Winching accessory kit / bag. The ****** block is what makes me less worried about the pull rating of my winch...
Traction ramps.
"Official H2 Recovery Vehicle" decals.
Reasonable assortment of repair tools, in a secure tool wrap.

Camping / comfort.
Phoenix Pulse slide in camper, PTM, outfitted with A/C, genset, awning, heated water / shower (outside), solar charger, roof rack, and ladder. I would add a custom canoe rack to the top of that camper as well... The whole point of this build is to...
Flat screen TV on a flip down rack right by the upper bed, some sort of means to tapping into my DirecTV DVR at home. (I am thinking via tablet PC).

Once done, and fully road / off road tested, I would use up some of that free time out west, exploring everything from logging roads to ghost towns.

You see the whole point of my build is to build a truck that meets the following criteria.

#1. Will carry my family and myself where we want to go in comfort, paved roads or not.
#2. Haul myself, and my hunting buddies out to the deer lease. Give me a comfortable place to sleep without subjecting anyone to anyone else' snoring.
#3. Be low enough to the ground where a pregnant 5' tall woman can still easily get in and out of it. Because if SHE can't, I will hear all about it!
#4. Be reliable and durable enough, that given proper care, maintenance, and driven like an adult, I can reasonably expect to have to get rid of the truck because I am sick and tired of looking at it, which for me would take a LONG time.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow what a post, bored much?

But in all seriousness, if I won the lottery I would put the money in the bank. If I had to spend some on the truck, I would throw in a built 5.4 block, all necessary drivetrain/tranny and fuel upgrades, KB 2.8 @ 15+ PSI, and call it a day.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll play, this sounds like fun...

Well first off here's my truck as she sits today ('07 Reg Cab XL 4.2L V6):

Name:  IMG_0918.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  146.2 KB

First thing would be wheels. Now that I have her dropped, I feel like I need them even more. Since I've already photochopped it, here's that:

Name:  withbadge.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  586.1 KB

Alright here goes:

Exterior:
  • PTM: 3DCarbon Lower Valence, Rear Bumper, Mirror Caps, Door Handles
  • Twin 8" Fogs center mounted behind grill (HID Lightforce's from Australia)
  • FX2 Headlights with HID Retrofit
  • FX4 PTM Fender Flares
  • Saleen S331 Hood
  • 09+ Fender Badges (Chrome bits Matte black, center parts PTM)
  • Bed Rug
  • Either Flush Windowed Camper Shell or Swap the bed for a stepside
  • Shave the F150 badge on the tailgate?

Interior:
  • Black Cloth 09+ Seats (& Jumpseat)
  • Black Carpet
  • Black Door panels with power windows, doors and mirrors
  • Dye rear doors and rear wall plastic to match front doors
  • Install my Mustang Dead pedal
  • European Oettinger Aluminum pedal kit
  • Dye the light grey part of my dash black
  • Grey plaid headliner
  • White led dome light

Crazy Ideas...
  • Swap bed for stepside
  • Recaro 1 piece carbon based seats
  • Roll cage with 4 point harnesses
  • Turbo kit with FMIC
  • Re-gear diff, possible manual transmission swap

I know that I have more, but it's almost 5am for me, and I haven't been to bed yet. I'll add more later. Fun thread! I'm looking forward to looking through other people's dream builds!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me about all i'm lacking is a blower. I honestly don't want much more out of a truck. Sure, a newer diesel would be nice, but I wouldn't need it or the extra maintenance and hassle of parking it. I'm very content with how mine looks and the power with the now 4.56 gears. A Whipple or something of the like is about all i'm lacking to have my dream truck.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Okay, I am having a slow work day, and some things have changed since I first posted this. I thought it might be fun to kick this back up a bit...

With all that being said, I would mod my truck the following way (current mods included).
Cosmetic / Body.
***Tactical Armor Group bumpers front AND rear. Front including buckets for 4 Pro Comp 130 watt stainless off road lights, provision for winch, and hi lift jack. Rear including spare tire, 2 jerry can carriers, and CB Antenna mount. Also include some 55 watt backup lights and a winch mount in that bumper. Both bumpers PTM.***

I am giving the TAG bumper a serious second thought. They are having some serious delivery problems, and they require cutting the frame to install. Looking for options here. My leading contender here is going with a Go Rhino winch mount brush guard and stock bumpers. Modding the rear bumper to suit my needs.

Recon Line Of Fire
EGR "OEM Look" fender flares, PTM custom 2 tone scheme.
Custom 2 tone paint, with grille insert PTM. Keep Arizona Beige on top, and use Ford Dark Stone on bottom.

6 Pro Comp 6089 17x9 wheels (same as my 1089s, but Chrome, should be easier to keep clean...).
Fresh set of 35x12.50/17 Hercules Trail Digger MTs. I only got 32K out of my current fronts due to stupid alignment / suspension / shock issues. Fix that and jab new rubber on. These tires really are amazing!
Replaced OEM ball joints upper and lower with Moog "Problem solver" units.
Replaced OEM shocks / coils and Autospring leveling kit with Rancho Quicklift Loaded 2.5" lift struts.
Replaced OEM rear shocks with Rancho RS9000XL.
Add in cab control for quicklift / RS9000 shocks.
Powerslot drilled / slotted rotors, and HD semi metallic pads front and rear.

Engine / drivetrain.
K&N drop in filter.
Gotts DWV mod.
SCT XCal2.
Optima Yellow Top. Yes I know there are durable batteries for less $$, but the Yellow top offers more CCA, which is important with a winch, lights etc..
ARB Air Locker and 4.56 gears front and rear. Big compressor / tank for ARB. Accessory port for airing up tires etc...
Magnaflow true duals, and high flow cats, exit THROUGH rear bumper, Plumbing MUST provide ample clearance to spare tire under bed.

Realistic TRC-465 40 channel AM / SSB CB Radio with Realistic Power Mic. (Leave the Cobra in the box. Hate that thing...)
Realistic 102" Stainless Steel whip antenna with Stainless Steel "pot belly" style spring.
AM/FM/Satelite stereo with DVD, remote playback for back seat, and digital media playback capability, USB input for my phone.
Thoroughly clean the OEM carpet, add fresh floor mats. Possibly refresh OEM carpet.

Engo E9000 winch front and rear. (I already have it. The line pull capacity is right at about 1.5x the trucks weight now, but add the rest of this stuff, and this might need to be swapped out for an E12000).
Shovel.
Winching accessory kit / bag. The ****** block is what makes me less worried about the pull rating of my winch...
Traction ramps.

Camping / comfort.
Phoenix Pulse slide in camper, PTM, outfitted with A/C, genset, awning, heated water / shower (outside), solar charger, roof rack, and ladder. I would add a custom canoe rack to the top of that camper as well... The whole point of this build is to...
Flat screen TV on a flip down rack right by the upper bed, some sort of means to tapping into my DirecTV DVR at home. (I am thinking via tablet PC).

Once done, and fully road / off road tested, I would use up some of that free time out west, exploring everything from logging roads to ghost towns.

You see the whole point of my build is to build a truck that meets the following criteria.

#1. Will carry my family and myself where we want to go in comfort, paved roads or not.
#2. Haul myself, and my hunting buddies out to the deer lease. Give me a comfortable place to sleep without subjecting anyone to anyone else' snoring.
#3. Be low enough to the ground where a pregnant 5' tall woman can still easily get in and out of it. Because if SHE can't, I will hear all about it!
#4. Be reliable and durable enough, that given proper care, maintenance, and driven like an adult, I can reasonably expect to have to get rid of the truck because I am sick and tired of looking at it, which for me would take a LONG time.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pertaining to the truck, if I won the lottery, I would sell it for book value, sell the HD grill and replace it with a painted FX4 grill before doing so, buy a black 2011/2012 FX4 lux and add wheel/tire/level, and 2013+ projector heads and small stuff like that, and forget my 2007 ever existed just like my 2004.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Of the current series. I would only really consider the Raptor. I may be the odd one here, but I seriously dislike the 09 and up front end design...

Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost
Of the current series. I would only really consider the Raptor. I may be the odd one here, but I seriously dislike the 09 and up front end design...
I dislike the '09+ XLT and lower trims front ends. Has to be an FX4+, I hate all 2013+ grills, the '11/'12 FX4 grill was the absolute best grill, followed closely by the '09/'12 Plationum grill. Raptor grills I have never really liked, but then again I never liked the mini markers all over them either. Not much of a Raptor guy I suppose. Guess that is why there are so many trim levels to choose from .

Old 12-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Since I started this thread, I figured it was time to post an update to what has actually gotten done, and changes in the idea along the way...

To make it easier for you to read, I have bolded the changes made since my original post here. Italics are mods that were done previous to this thread.
Cosmetic / Body.
Scrubbed the idea of a HD winch bumper and went with a winch mount / brush guard instead. I got a pretty decent deal on the mount, and my wife just wouldn't go for the HD bumper thing...
Recon Line Of Fire

After looking at the different flares, I went a different route, and did the old school thing by using Pacer Performance 2.5" molded rubber flares. Pretty much all the ABS plastic flares were too narrow. These actually cover ALL of the tire and keep most if not all the junk off the sides of the truck.
Custom 2 tone paint, with grille insert PTM.

6 Pro Comp 6089 17x9 wheels (same as my 1089s, but Chrome, should be easier to keep clean...). Considering scrapping this idea for plasti-dipping my wheels. I am really liking the Arizona Beige / black thing I have going on...
Fresh set of 35x12.50/17 Hercules Trail Digger MTs. I only got 32K out of my current fronts due to stupid alignment / shock issues. Fix that and jab new rubber on. These tires really are amazing! The repair entailed swapping out bad ball joints, bushings, and replacing my OE shocks / leveling kit with a Rancho Quicklift / RS9000XL setup. The winch and brush guard are a bit much for those... For now, if I can keep the tires out of the fenders with a leveling kit, I won't need to lift any higher.
Spare tire replaced with one of the good old 35x12.50/17 Hercules Trail Diggers.

I opted for the Powerslot drilled / slotted rotors and semi metallic brake pads over the EBC Greenstuff / cryoslot setup. Happy with it so far.

Engine / drivetrain.
K&N drop in filter.
Gotts DWV mod. Did the Gotts and it failed miserably. Replaced with an Air RAID MIT cold air intake tube that utilizes the stock filter box, but replaces the restrictive intake tubes with a free flowing MUCH bigger tube...
SCT XCal2.
Thinking seriously of going with Magnaflow high flow cats, and cat back system dumping at a 45 deg behind the rear wheel well. The piping must keep clear of the spare tire though...

Thoroughly clean the OEM carpet, add fresh floor mats.

Engo E9000 winch front.
Shovel.
Traction ramps.

So I am making progress...

Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I could paint mine GOLD AND WHITE. OR GOLD AND BLACK SINCE TE GRILL AND STUFF IS ALREADY BLACK. GOLD HOOD AND GOLD LOWER BODY AND PAINT THAT SILVER BUMPER AT THE BOTTOM GOLD TOO.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would take my truck to a pit and shoot it up with all the guns/ammo I would have from winning the lottery.

Quick Reply: Dream Truck build thread...