2004 - 2008 F-150

Heater Core Bypass - Which hose to install valve on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by azwip
Ok, reckon I have to chime in with a quick update, I finally installed a manual bypass valve, around ten bucks at O'Reilly's, from Murray. I think they were for like a '64 Ford F100 or something, lol.

But WOW!!!!! Thank you folks so much!!! I had no idea my AC could get that cold!!!! I live in AZ and heck I don't even really need MAX anymore, lol, she is in Nomal, third fan setting... and blows around 40, all day long in city traffic!!! I am impressed!!! Gets even colder in MAX and/or on highway, unreal!!!! And, seems to get colder much quicker as well. Used to be, when sitting in the sun, and getting in, took forever to get cold, would be sweating for at least 15 or so minutes... not anymore!!! Fantastic little fix folks, thanks again! ya'll rock!

P.S. Mine is a 2004 F150 FX4, black, inside and out.
Hey Azwip, glad to hear it worked. Yeah mine, nearly a year later is still kicking high 30s low 40s with the value closed. Just be mindful to open it once in a while, letting the coolant through the core, to keep it circulated. But otherwise, glad to hear its working for you as well.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Howdy

Hi again... ok, I have used the valve from Murray, similar to this one....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ontent=5652960

And the fix is right on the money.... but, I can't seem to get the top of the handle on this valve to not leak? Anyone else used this valve, and if you did, does it seep? I went and got a second one, last night, and after an hour drive, it is seeping as the first one did, from the top (not hose etc), from the thing you turn... it seeps. Maybe I should look at getting the PEX valve from Lowes???

Anyone else had this prob? I find it tough to think that I got two bad valves in a row, lol... I mean, its possible I guess.

Again though, this is the way to go for me.... AC is nice!!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by azwip
Hi again... ok, I have used the valve from Murray, similar to this one....

[url]http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_5652960-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-5652960&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=5652960&ci_gpa=pla& ci_kw=&gclid=CP2kkfrA9rcCFeU5Qgod2TQAXQ#utm_source =acq&utm_medium=google&utm_cam but, I can't seem to get the top of the handle on this valve to not leak? Anyone else used this valve, and if you did, does it seep? I went and got a second one, last night, and after an hour drive, it is seeping as the first one did, from the top (not hose etc), from the thing you turn... it seeps. Maybe I should look at getting the PEX valve from Lowes???

Anyone else had this prob? I find it tough to think that I got two bad valves in a row, lol... I mean, its possible I guess.

Betya that peice of junk was made in China! Use the brass/stainless ball valve like plumbing uses. Problem solved in a hurry!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Lol

Yup - says made in china on the box.... also just read the OP edit, seems Lowes is the place to get one. Reckon I'll head there and get a PEX(?) 3/4?

Old 06-22-2013, 12:07 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I've never used ball valves for that purpose, but I have used them in home plumbing - and the valves at Lowe's are a LOT higher quality than the ones at Home Depot.

Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 PM
????

Ok, so took her to Lowes, picked up the 3/4 PEX valve... but, now, it seems the one made in China, is no longer leaking! Too funny. Drove her for over an hour, up and down the highway... get home, pop the hood, no leak, dry.

Ok, reckon I'll keep the Lowes one, in the glove box for now and just monitor the other one, if she stays dry, then, so be it, I guess. Lol.

Its like it sealed itself".

Strange little valve. Strange behavior. But will keep Lowes handy.

Thanks again, and if anyone is on the fence about this, I can just say, wow, my truck is cold, again, thanks to ya'll for some great advice! Thought I was doomed to stick with mediocre AC...

Ron

Old 05-31-2015, 08:29 PM
Hello. I want to install a shut off valve on my truck to improve the AC. Question. When I cut the heater hose won't water/anti freeze spray all over me? I know nothing....

Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Simple - put a drain pan under the radiator and open the drain valve. It's best to do this with a cold engine. When done, pour the coolant back in.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Leowis1
Hello. I want to install a shut off valve on my truck to improve the AC. Question. When I cut the heater hose won't water/anti freeze spray all over me? I know nothing....
Ha! Never say you know nothing.

It's a valid question. glc answered it spot on.

Quick Reply: Heater Core Bypass - Which hose to install valve on?