2004 - 2008 F-150

Accident 9/26 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accident 9/26 :(

Hey guys, just a minor accident sort of but still sucks. Got my truck fully detailed Friday 9/23 and man it looked sharp! Driving home from work Monday night 9/26 at about 10:45pm and about a mile or so from my house at a major intersection there was construction going on and the 2 lanes were cut down to one lane. I had about 5 cars in front of me and a 2010 camaro behind me, we had been stopped for a good 3 minutes or so at the red light. Light turned green, cars in front of me go and as I go to take off I hear these tires screech and then in less than a second I got nailed. Lady in a Chevy HHR I guess didn't feel like stopping and hit the camaro doing 45+(speed limit was 45 through there, normally 55 but construction was going on so they dropped it). Camaro pushed into me but it felt like I got hit a ton.

Funny thing was, there were two cops with their lights on on the side of the road to make sure nobody sped or whatever, just protection the construction zone I guess. The lady hit the back of the camaro literally right next to where the cop cars were. I have no idea what she was doing, what she was thinking. I didn't want to talk to her, I was so pissed off. I felt bad because she was an elderly lady but it was just frustrating. She sure did pick two expensive car/truck to hit. 2010 Camaro and my 2004 F150 GTr. I posted pics in my album: https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...dent+9-26.html

Hopefully that link works, I used to remember how to post pics on threads but it's been so long since I've done so that I have no clue how to do it lol. But the Chevy HHR had a destroyed front end. I had more damage on the back-end of my truck then the Camaro had, which suprised the heck out of me. The new camaro's are built like a tank lol.

Jake

Last edited by Racer97; 09-29-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Figured out how to post pics

Back of my truck:
Night of accident:

Day after:

Front of the HHR:

Front and back of Camaro:

Old 09-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
eh, it'll buff right out.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't feel bad for the HHR driver at all. Not paying attention at night in a construction zone with two cop cars parked on the side of the road? She deserves every bit of the ticket and insurance costs. Doesn't matter if she was 17 or 70, she hit another car because she clearly wasn't paying attention.

Good luck with getting it all fixed. I can't tell from your pictures, but are either of the bedsides wrinkled at all?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
that camaro probably has a lot of underlying body damage that is behind the plastic bumper

Old 09-29-2011, 12:06 PM
sounds like one more reason to BAN hhr's from the roads.

Clearly anyone that would buy one is an idiot and therefore doesn't know how to drive either.

Sorry about the bad luck - hopefully it works out with insurance and whatnot!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
It sucks no matter which side of the wreck you are on. I've seen some awfully stressed out folks over the years, some people thought I was too often "uncaring" by not commensurating with them, but my objective was to always get them looking up towards the bright spots. In your case, if you have to have a wreck, that's not a bad one to fill the bill? Even if you aren't at fault, the experience will serve to elevate your attention to other traffic too. Might save you the bad one some day?

On the up side .... truck doesn't look as bad as I thought when reading the tale. Hope the frame ain't tweeked.

I always hated being in a wreck, even when it was the state car and part of the job .... hated borrowing other cars, moving my stuff, and worrying how mine was gonna look. In the end, all was usually OK.

Of late, I hit a small deer with my '07, bent bumper, messed up upper bumper ..... I hated it, worried, got it fixed, paint was perfect on new bumper and upper bumper cover, but install of parts after paint was aweful. I removed and corrected bumper brackets myself and reinstall minus shims and it is perfect now, and no stone chiips .... so I refuesed to drive the truck until I got some clear static cling film to cover the bumper with.

And at the age of 57, after 41 years driving, 31+ as a Trooper who's worked thousands of wrecks of all sorts (and a few airplane crashes) ranging from non reportables with almost zero damage ... to major crashes involving many injuries and deaths ...
... my hitting that small deer has caused me to think twice before trying to eat a fast melting ice cream cone of vanilla on a hot summer evening while driving my truck near dusk!

Momma deer had just crossed ahead of me and I let up on the gas, only going maybe 35-40. The small deer was closev behind and ran into my left front corner, I saw it's tail in the edge of my lights. I felt it under the tires. I hated the sounds. Sure, I know it was not my fault. But had I not been trying to eat that ice cream before it melted all over me I might have been sharper in my response.

I also will likely not get more cones at that Tastee Freez, likely stick with Dairy Queen instead.

Later ........

Last edited by tbear853; 09-29-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fender bender.....hopefully everything works out!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Man, what a shame she did to your badass truck.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:54 PM
I didn't even talk to the lady, I was so pissed off. The cops didn't even want anything to do with me I was so heated. I look at it now and see that it could've been worse. The lady's insurance is paying for everything, especially my truck. They sent out an adjuster today and gave me an estimate of $2000 which kind of sounds cheap to me but we'll find out tomorrow hopefully. They are providing me with a rental car/truck while my truck is in the shop which hopefully won't be more than 5 days but who knows. I hope they'll be able to find the same body kit that I had and be able to replace it.

Also if you notice, my exhaust pipes got bent down pretty good. They are replacing the exhaust(on the estimate paper I got said cost: $436.35) don't know if that sounds right for the whole exhaust I had. They better be putting a magnaflow system on there like I had. I'll be making a call in the morning to make sure that get's done properly. Other than that everything seems to be going alright, just sucks to be driving a truck with a bent rear-end around. The bed itself wasn't bent, hopefully not the chassis either but that'll be determined in the shop. The tailgate is being replaced though.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry to see that, good luck with everything and keep us updated!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer97
Hey, Racer -- what brand tonneau cover is that? It looks like it fits really nice.....

Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by Racer97
I didn't even talk to the lady, I was so pissed off. The cops didn't even want anything to do with me I was so heated. I look at it now and see that it could've been worse. The lady's insurance is paying for everything, especially my truck. They sent out an adjuster today and gave me an estimate of $2000 which kind of sounds cheap to me but we'll find out tomorrow hopefully. They are providing me with a rental car/truck while my truck is in the shop which hopefully won't be more than 5 days but who knows. I hope they'll be able to find the same body kit that I had and be able to replace it.

Also if you notice, my exhaust pipes got bent down pretty good. They are replacing the exhaust(on the estimate paper I got said cost: $436.35) don't know if that sounds right for the whole exhaust I had. They better be putting a magnaflow system on there like I had. I'll be making a call in the morning to make sure that get's done properly. Other than that everything seems to be going alright, just sucks to be driving a truck with a bent rear-end around. The bed itself wasn't bent, hopefully not the chassis either but that'll be determined in the shop. The tailgate is being replaced though.
There's no way that damage costs $2000. Look at the picture of my mustang's damage (Sept. 2010) below and that racked up to $7000. My bumper didn't even go into the body like yours did. Better check with the insurance company to make sure they're are paying full price for it.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That sucks *****!! Hope they do it right and not hose you around.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:32 AM
I think it is going to be a little over $2K to fix that,

if somehow they find someone to work for free

Quick Reply: Accident 9/26 :(