2004 - 2008 F-150

2007 f150 A/C clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM
md1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 f150 A/C clutch problem

A/C stop working today, I checked and the clutch is not engaging.I checked the fuses and relay. I found the A/C diodes open, but I understand this would not stop the clutch from engaging correct? I tested to see if I was getting 12 volt to the clutch and I am. Can the clutch be replaced? I looked online and all I see are the compresses. I tried to remove the clutch and the small bolt broke off. So I guess I am screwed? Any information would great.

Thanks
Mark

Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM
md1
I got the broken bolt out, dose any one know if you can buy the parts, clutch and coil? And if so where. I removed the snap ring and the pulley, but do you remove the snap ring to remove the coil?

Old 06-26-2011, 07:56 AM
md1
Has any one had the compressor replaced? If so how much am I going to be looking at.
Thanks

Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 PM
Hey, what have you found out? Mine stopped working today too. Light comes on dash, fuse is good, don't know how to check the diode and relay. It looks like a major bitch to replace the clutch and or compressor!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by md1
Has any one had the compressor replaced? If so how much am I going to be looking at.
Thanks
pretty sure the reason that your clutch is not working is because the pressure on the low side is to low. You could be low on Freon, have you checked your pressure settings with a set of guages?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I'll go out tomorrow and see a shop to test that.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
Mine came from the factory with a low charge and would not get very cool at all. A recharge, coupled with the e-fans, which turn on half power whenever the AC is turned on, and I can now turn it on the lowest setting and get cool air at an idle

Trending Topics

Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 PM
md1
Well it is now fixed, I had the feon level checked at a local AC shop and they said the level was fine. I replaced clutch and it ran for a few days. then it stopped cooling again. I had set up a time for my local Ford dealer to look at it and I stopped by the used car lot that I purchased it from about 2 months ago to see who he used to work on his suff. Just in case the Ford dealer quoted me some high price. Well the used dealer is a heck of a man, he said he would take care of it. My warranty was drivetrain only, but he replaced the compressor, recharged the system and installed a new belt. I know where I will go any time I need a car or truck. and I will also tell anyone I hear that is looking. If you are near Danville, VA and looking for a car or truck. Please look at H&O auto sales and talk to Larry

Last edited by md1; 07-13-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 PM
My a/c quit yesterday out of the blue. Today i put a guage on it and it was bone dry. Just for kicks i thought i'd get lucky and drop some freon in it and at least get some cycling. One can, nothing..... One more, NOTHING....... I dont know where to start diagnosing this truck. Hot and Bothered!!

Old 04-03-2014, 02:16 PM
2007 f150 ac compressor

Mine went out yesterday, clutch doesnt engage, checked freon and it has standing charge. I checked fuse and it was bad but replacing it didnt fix the problem. Do I need to replace the whole system as some suggest? I'm ok with a compressor but dont know why I need all of the rest of it changed. Are they trying to pack the bill?

Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I'm not sure on the newer Fords... but there are probably aftermarket replacement build kits for them.

I had the bearing on my Dodge go on my compressor, and I got a rebuild kit for it off ebay for 90 bucks. I had it up and running in less than a hour. Mind you I have had experience rebuilding a few of them in my lifetime.

You just need to make sure to properly shim the clutch plate. I've always been told a business card's thickness will be excellent. So that's what I use as a gauge and never once had a problem.

As far as vacing the system and charging it, follow the recommended guidelines. Always replace the filter dryer too.

Quick Reply: 2007 f150 A/C clutch problem