F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Air bag recall...suspended? Check this... (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/450958-air-bag-recall-suspended-check.html)

StoveTop 06-14-2011 04:40 PM

Air bag recall...suspended? Check this...

Yesterday, I took my truck to the dealer for an oil change and for the air bag recall. According to the service guy, the air bag recall was suspended due to a problem with the "fix". He told me that for whatever reason, the new wiring harness prescribed by the recall has an unforeseen effect on the PCM. This in turn requires a PCM reflash which results in owners complaining of their engines running "rough". I neglected to ask if this was at idle or while driving/under load. But, according to him, Ford has suspended the recall fix until the issue with the PCM reflash is fixed.

I didn't search this as of this post, but has anyone else heard of this? He actually showed me the wiring harness and it is hard to believe that this harness has ANY affect on the PCM, but I don't know enough about this to question him. Anyway, if anyone else has more info on this, please post up...I am curious to know what's up with this or is this service guy confused!

thanks!

MTM Ford 06-14-2011 05:40 PM

I haven't heard anything like that. I hope he was just confused. I really don't want to get my recall recalled. :lol:

88racing 06-14-2011 05:45 PM

Interesting....

StoveTop 06-14-2011 06:20 PM

Pages 6 and 7 of this thread show that a few had issues after the recall swap...others reported no issues at all. Guess I'll take a wait and see or until I hear directly from Ford...

F-150 airbag recall expanded

DarrenWS6 06-14-2011 06:21 PM

Ultimate fail if there is a recall on the recall... I went 4yrs just fine in my '04, air bag never threatened me. But having a recall threaten you would be just tops :lol:

MTM Ford 06-14-2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 (Post 4611715)
Ultimate fail if there is a recall on the recall... I went 4yrs just fine in my '04, air bag never threatened me. But having a recall threaten you would be just tops :lol:

:lol: :lol:

So far I haven't had any issues since I got my recall done a little over a month ago.

Stealth 06-14-2011 06:41 PM

Not taking mine in then. Not unless they pay me for three more custom tunes.

repieces 06-14-2011 06:43 PM

I took mine in yesterday (for the airbag recall and something else) and they didn't say anything about the recall being suspended. They did the work today and I went and picked it up this afternoon. I'll look at my service papers whenever I get back out to the truck to see if they said anything about "flashing the PCM" or whatever.

darkstar_420 06-14-2011 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth (Post 4611745)
Not taking mine in then. Not unless they pay me for three more custom tunes.

if you get the pcm reflashed your tunes are junk? i thought if you returned it to stock then they reflash, then you have to set your tune again after? if not, im with you i dont wanna loose my tunes!

Stealth 06-14-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by darkstar_420 (Post 4611837)
if you get the pcm reflashed your tunes are junk? i thought if you returned it to stock then they reflash, then you have to set your tune again after? if not, im with you i dont wanna loose my tunes!

More than likely your hex code gets changed on a reflash so even if you reset to stock before the reflash your custom tunes would be incompatible with the new hex code.

If you're concerned contact your tuner! :)

darkstar_420 06-14-2011 10:44 PM

meh my air bag light isnt on so ill put the recall off LOL

noregrets 06-15-2011 01:33 AM

I havent heard of anyones airbag going off yet that I know theres a few of us that still havent got ours done at work. I guess ill just wait to see what the outcome of this is, no sense in going to the dealer more than I have to...

yoheidiho 06-15-2011 01:43 AM

I've had no issues as a result of the harness swap. I watched the swap and no flashing of the PCM was involved.

StoveTop 06-15-2011 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by yoheidiho (Post 4612089)
I've had no issues as a result of the harness swap. I watched the swap and no flashing of the PCM was involved.

This is why I doubt this service guy's credibility as it doesn't make sense that a PCM reflash is required for this simple harness swap...

I am going to call my dealer and speak to another service writer for confirmation regarding this "suspended" warranty.

topland 06-15-2011 05:02 AM

Its just a new wire harness 4" long with mesh wraped around 2 wires to prevent rubbing. Maybe the dealer did not have any harneses on hand, they were on like a national backorder and dealers could only recieve so many at a time. Seems odd that this tech is the only one with this information? Maybe though. Ive had no issues yet since my recall was done.