Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
Air bag recall...suspended?  Check this... >

Air bag recall...suspended? Check this...

2004 - 2008 F-150

Old 06-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday, I took my truck to the dealer for an oil change and for the air bag recall. According to the service guy, the air bag recall was suspended due to a problem with the "fix". He told me that for whatever reason, the new wiring harness prescribed by the recall has an unforeseen effect on the PCM. This in turn requires a PCM reflash which results in owners complaining of their engines running "rough". I neglected to ask if this was at idle or while driving/under load. But, according to him, Ford has suspended the recall fix until the issue with the PCM reflash is fixed.

I didn't search this as of this post, but has anyone else heard of this? He actually showed me the wiring harness and it is hard to believe that this harness has ANY affect on the PCM, but I don't know enough about this to question him. Anyway, if anyone else has more info on this, please post up...I am curious to know what's up with this or is this service guy confused!

thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM
I haven't heard anything like that. I hope he was just confused. I really don't want to get my recall recalled.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Interesting....

Old 06-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Pages 6 and 7 of this thread show that a few had issues after the recall swap...others reported no issues at all. Guess I'll take a wait and see or until I hear directly from Ford...

F-150 airbag recall expanded

Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Ultimate fail if there is a recall on the recall... I went 4yrs just fine in my '04, air bag never threatened me. But having a recall threaten you would be just tops

Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 View Post
Ultimate fail if there is a recall on the recall... I went 4yrs just fine in my '04, air bag never threatened me. But having a recall threaten you would be just tops

So far I haven't had any issues since I got my recall done a little over a month ago.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Not taking mine in then. Not unless they pay me for three more custom tunes.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:43 PM
I took mine in yesterday (for the airbag recall and something else) and they didn't say anything about the recall being suspended. They did the work today and I went and picked it up this afternoon. I'll look at my service papers whenever I get back out to the truck to see if they said anything about "flashing the PCM" or whatever.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Not taking mine in then. Not unless they pay me for three more custom tunes.
if you get the pcm reflashed your tunes are junk? i thought if you returned it to stock then they reflash, then you have to set your tune again after? if not, im with you i dont wanna loose my tunes!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by darkstar_420 View Post
if you get the pcm reflashed your tunes are junk? i thought if you returned it to stock then they reflash, then you have to set your tune again after? if not, im with you i dont wanna loose my tunes!
More than likely your hex code gets changed on a reflash so even if you reset to stock before the reflash your custom tunes would be incompatible with the new hex code.

If you're concerned contact your tuner!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 PM
meh my air bag light isnt on so ill put the recall off LOL

Old 06-15-2011, 01:33 AM
I havent heard of anyones airbag going off yet that I know theres a few of us that still havent got ours done at work. I guess ill just wait to see what the outcome of this is, no sense in going to the dealer more than I have to...

Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 AM
I've had no issues as a result of the harness swap. I watched the swap and no flashing of the PCM was involved.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by yoheidiho View Post
I've had no issues as a result of the harness swap. I watched the swap and no flashing of the PCM was involved.
This is why I doubt this service guy's credibility as it doesn't make sense that a PCM reflash is required for this simple harness swap...

I am going to call my dealer and speak to another service writer for confirmation regarding this "suspended" warranty.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:02 AM
Its just a new wire harness 4" long with mesh wraped around 2 wires to prevent rubbing. Maybe the dealer did not have any harneses on hand, they were on like a national backorder and dealers could only recieve so many at a time. Seems odd that this tech is the only one with this information? Maybe though. Ive had no issues yet since my recall was done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air bag recall...suspended? Check this...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: