2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine Failsafe Mode after DWV Intake Mod

Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Failsafe Mode after DWV Intake Mod

My truck is an '04 4x4 5.4 supercrew with 58k miles and an edge programmer.

About three weeks ago I did this DWV Intake Mod: https://www.f150online.com/forums/3818781-post74.html

Since then just about every other morning, after driving for about ten minutes, my truck goes into failsafe mode. Each time it happens I simply pull off to the side of the road, turn off my car, and start it right back up again and everything is back to normal. Funny thing, but it only happens in the morning, in slow stop-and-go downtown traffic, and at just about the exact same location in my morning commute each time it happens.

Since doing the DWV mod my engine idles much lower, around 500 rpm or less. I tried unplugging the battery for about ten minutes to reset the computer, and this worked at first as the truck didn't go into failsafe mode for about a week afterwards, but then it happened again this morning.

I'm thinking about removing the DWV intake mod and my edge, restoring the factory intake and computer settings, and cleaning the MAF sensor. From other posts it seems like a possible cause may be a faulty TPS sensor. If anyone has some thoughts on how I can fix this (and hopefully keep the mods) I would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I would say you could be causing a lean issue with the edge and the intake but haven't heard of it with the GOTTS mod like you did. Usually it is only with aftermarket full CAI replacements.

Clean your MAF sensor like you mentioned. It's easy to do and will take about 5 min max. I had a faulty TPS sensor which kicked mine into failsafe. Would happen every couple of months and then finally threw a code. Mine was usually around 25-45MPH and would be at random. It finally did it getting off the freeway which is when it threw the code.

I have the GOTTS mod in my 5.4L and run an edge on level 2. No issues after having my throttle body cleaned and TPS sensor replaced. I have mine set to idle a little higher than stock with my edge Evo. I sit around 500-600 RPM at operating temp.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4
Clean your MAF sensor like you mentioned. It's easy to do and will take about 5 min max.
Agreed! Start here before you rip everything apart.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Have you tried to read codes? they will tell what is going on. But, I would clean the MAF and the throttle body.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the input! The check engine light hasn't gone off, so I thought that meant there weren't any codes thrown? I'll check. I'll also clean the MAF and throttle body and see how it acts after that. Thanks again.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by longhorn99
Thanks for the input! The check engine light hasn't gone off, so I thought that meant there weren't any codes thrown? I'll check. I'll also clean the MAF and throttle body and see how it acts after that. Thanks again.
You can have codes even without the check engine light being on. See if the Edge will read the codes.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bluejay
You can have codes even without the check engine light being on. See if the Edge will read the codes.
It is possible. To the OP I never had any codes with my failsafe trips for 6-8 months until one day it did. It might just be coincidence it started doing it and have nothing to do with your intake install. Clean the MAF and throttle body, if that doesn't work replace your TPS sensor (Ford can do this for around $75)

Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
longhorn99,

I would try your troubleshooting plan one step at a time and drive it for a little while between each change to see what, if any, difference each makes. I ran the original DWV intake mod on my 04 F150 with an EDGE Evolution tuner and had no problems. I would recommend cleaning the MAF sensor with a good no-residue electronics safe contact cleaner just in case it may be grimy or contaminated. One other thing to look for is a broken, loose, or disconnected vacuum line on the intake or throttle body. Vacuum leaks can cause some of the symptoms you describe. Does your EDGE tuner show any trouble codes in memory?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:51 AM
How did you clean the maf sensor? Mine is doing the same thing

Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4
How did you clean the maf sensor? Mine is doing the same thing
Link>>> https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...005-5-4-a.html

Clean the throttle body too and change the fuel filter....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Failsafe Mode after DWV Intake Mod