Best backup Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the emblem only one seems to be sold...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by powerz69
Here is the person myself and others here have bought from on ebay. OEM emblem, camera,harness,rear view mirror $300.00 + $40.00 shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item3a65144572

Or just the emblem and camera it self. $125.00 + $25.00 shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item3cb6fcd654
Was the wiring difficult? I basically have the same truck as yours and Id like to have the back up camera.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by sgray
Was the wiring difficult? I basically have the same truck as yours and Id like to have the back up camera.
The hardest part was cutting a hole in a perfectly good tailgate. The how to: link below.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...m-04-08-a.html

Old 04-18-2011, 01:41 PM
So, which is better, the tailgate or emblem? Why are some on the emblem and some on the tailgate?

Also, I currently have the powered mirror, minus the screen in the mirror? So, do I have to pull the new wireing harness all the way up to the hook up to the mirror? Thanks....

Old 04-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The emblem vs. tailgate is virtually the same. It looks just about identical, so it's really just about your preference on the location. The 08's had it on the handle bezel, the 09+ Ford changed it to the emblem.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
The emblem vs. tailgate is virtually the same. It looks just about identical, so it's really just about your preference on the location. The 08's had it on the handle bezel, the 09+ Ford changed it to the emblem.
Yes! I only went with the emblem because I couldn't find a tailgate for the price as the emblem.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Can the tailgate camera see the hitch?

Does either location show all the way to the corners of the bumper?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, the hitch is fully visible. I can put my hitch right under the trailer coupler, spot on, every time. The reverse lights make it usable at night without issue. You can see the bumpers side-to-side, but there are marker lines on the screen to help you gauge where the truck will be as you back up, and where the truck will fit.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Meatwagon
I picked up this one from Amazon.com and am pleased with it. Full color and night vision. Works perfectly with my Avic f700bt. Tied video into the HU and power from the backup lamps.

...<snip>...
How hard was it to drill through the bumper ? Don't know if yours was chrome under the "deb liner" type paint or a painted bumper.

I have been tossing around the idea of one, and not a big fan of the cameras that mount on the license plate bolts.

I really like the mounting you did on your camera opposite the spare theft lock.

BTW: Check the lock to make sure yours works. I had to drop my spare to do the FPDM, and mine was seized from salt. It had not been used since I changed the spare to a Lariat wheel with the larger size tire. I am in salt country though.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I bought a license plate bracket from the eBay seller below for $40 and it works awesome. Clear picture, and has a light sensor that activates when it is dark out. I kind of wish I would've gotten the one without the license plate bracket and I may modify it a little bit but overall it works good.

It would also work better if you live in a state that doesn't have tags on the bottom of the license plate so that you can mount it there. In order to clearly see my bumper for a good perspective, it is angled completely down but the camera has good guides built into it. If you want to see pics let me know and I will take a few.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Night-Vision-rea...item27ba1f1cfb

Old 04-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I went with the handle from Tasco solution with a temp monitor (waiting to install new head unit).

Camera from ebay
Name:  Camera.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  19.4 KB
Handle from Tasco (chrome handle was cheaper than all black), wired to backup lights on drivers side
Name:  BackupCam00001.jpg
Views: 3359
Size:  17.5 KB
Ran wires up through gromet under drivers seat.

$5 monitor from ebay
Name:  BackupCam00002.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  50.0 KB

Total cost about $70.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM
*subscribed* looking into a camera setup for my 99, not sure if I want wireless or wired after hearing about all the signal bleedthrough.

Meatwagon - How good id the picture on your setup, angle wise?? being off center by the width of the plate and all.

Would the second best (after a factory setup, even though I don't think it was an option on the 99) be a edge CTS with camera deal??

Has anyone dealth with these kind of cameras in this guys auction??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT Doesn't look like it would work for a pickup but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Ace_boy2099; 04-19-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Yes, the hitch is fully visible. I can put my hitch right under the trailer coupler, spot on, every time. The reverse lights make it usable at night without issue. You can see the bumpers side-to-side, but there are marker lines on the screen to help you gauge where the truck will be as you back up, and where the truck will fit.
Cool thanks. It didnt look like you would be able to see the hitch with the handle camera on the last page.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Rich-L
I went with the handle from Tasco solution with a temp monitor (waiting to install new head unit).

Camera from ebay

Handle from Tasco (chrome handle was cheaper than all black), wired to backup lights on drivers side

Ran wires up through gromet under drivers seat.

$5 monitor from ebay

Total cost about $70.
can you get a pic of what that looks like when in reverse. of the screen. thank you

Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
How hard was it to drill through the bumper ? Don't know if yours was chrome under the "deb liner" type paint or a painted bumper.

I have been tossing around the idea of one, and not a big fan of the cameras that mount on the license plate bolts.

I really like the mounting you did on your camera opposite the spare theft lock.

BTW: Check the lock to make sure yours works. I had to drop my spare to do the FPDM, and mine was seized from salt. It had not been used since I changed the spare to a Lariat wheel with the larger size tire. I am in salt country though.

Wasn't that bad. Got a metal hole saw from Home Depot - about $12. Basically measured my camera to get the right sized saw... believe it was 2-1/4 or -1/8. I have the factory FX4 bumper.

Spare lock works ok. I was actually thinking of putting it there since I don't have a spare tire at the moment.

Originally Posted by Ace_boy2099
Meatwagon - How good id the picture on your setup, angle wise?? being off center by the width of the plate and all.
I'll try to take some pics at lunch.

Quick Reply: Best backup Camera