2004 - 2008 F-150

what to look for in a knock noise. suspension related

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no. its still doing it, but it doesent make a clank like in that video. im guessing its moving back and forth because of the suspension comrpressing and de compressing, which is moving the yoke in and out, but mine doesnet clank its just a faint knock. and when im under my truck my driveshaft has no play in it.

hopefully it will get louder and i can get a video of it, or maybe ill find a way to get it recorded now, its just pretty faint.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:24 AM
how would i go about checking the sway bar end links, will they do it worse when tunring, or do i just need to replace them to see? they dont feel loose or like they have any give or anything.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How I found mine was to 'rock' the front end from side to side as if you were checking shocks. The up and down motion will five you a clunking noise that you can hear. Or you can take them off and check the joint for play. Where it bolts to the LCA is a small ball joint that takes a beating. I had to replace mine at around 30,000 mi with MOOG parts (grease-able) and even one of those went bad within a couple thousand miles.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:40 PM
i cant find anything with it on the ground, i can grab both driveshafts and spin them with the truck off and in park. back one a little, front will spin a decent amount, like an inch or so. the cvs will rotate a little too.

beggining to think cv axle or iwe ?

only thing else ive noticed is when switching to 4wd at a standstill, i can never get it to engage, then begin moving. ive always got to put it in 4, then i go from drive to neutral, to drive or reverse, and then give it gas. a split second after i give it throttle it bumps and catches 4wd then. id like to be able to switch it while sitting still and not have it slam into 4wd.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
i cant find anything with it on the ground, i can grab both driveshafts and spin them with the truck off and in park. back one a little, front will spin a decent amount, like an inch or so. the cvs will rotate a little too.

beggining to think cv axle or iwe ?

only thing else ive noticed is when switching to 4wd at a standstill, i can never get it to engage, then begin moving. ive always got to put it in 4, then i go from drive to neutral, to drive or reverse, and then give it gas. a split second after i give it throttle it bumps and catches 4wd then. id like to be able to switch it while sitting still and not have it slam into 4wd.
Mine does the same thing on the 4X4 shifting. Without being there to see, my money is still on the stabilizer links. You almost need two people to test these. one to 'bounce' each side up and down, and one to actually have your hand on the link to feel for movement around the joint.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:33 AM
that settles it, im probably just going to replace them i guess.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 04-24-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
that settles it, im probably just going to replace them i guess.
What I would do if it was me, remove the stabilizer links from both sides (it's easier to take both off at the same time) and check them for play at the little ball joint. If loose, then that's your noise most likely. As far as replacement...I don't know? Like I said earlier, I replaced mine with MOOG's (grease-able) and I lost one of those right off. I think mine are loose again, but I haven't checked yet. If they are, I don't know what I would replace them with, probably go with Motocraft...don't know !! Good Luck

Old 05-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2005 F150, FX4 5.4, auto ...and I have a simuliar noise, as when I take off going up an incline or turning, I get a "rumble" or a "vibration" .... so today I took it to the dealer, where I bought it, and still have a warranty, and it turns out that it is the clutches in the rear end and is effecting the posi...as I heard it.. I just recently had the transmission replaced by them as well... I have seen simuliar posts on here as well, on these noises , knocking, vibrating...ect..and thought that this thread was suitable...
good luck

Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 AM
My truck has a similar noise coming from the front end although mines an 03. It sounds like its from the drivers side. It does it rarely when accelerating but it happens a lot when steering. I can make it occur if I yank the truck to the left while driving. I have a feeling its somewhere in the suspension. Anyone have a idea?

Old 11-19-2011, 07:04 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Wrong forum - this is the 2004-2008 forum.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Former Sponsor
Check this post out. Stealth found it by replacing his sway bar bushings. Mine is going in next week for them.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 AM
thanks for keeping me in mind. this noise is just when i accelerate from a dead stop, i have no noises when turning, or flexing or anything like that, but i will try to pry on mine and see if they make the same pop. that would be great if thats what it was

Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor
I just got mine back and my end links were shot. Replaced them with lifetime warranty NAPA parts and the clunk is gone for now.

Quick Reply: what to look for in a knock noise. suspension related