2004 - 2008 F-150

why are trucks priced so high?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why are trucks priced so high?

seems to me like all newer trucks are priced very high. ford chevy, whatever. if i build a fairly loaded lariat on the ford website, its like 45-50 grand or so, you can get a mercedes e class starting at 50?

my truck new in 07 was 40k, my mom just got a 10 c class luxury, fairly loaded, for 38k.

what gives?

think about it from a chevy stand point, you can build a really nice silverado (2010 ltz 4x4) they start at 42k, or you can get a base model corvette for 49k. 7 grand is the difference there? thats assuming you get a base model ltz, not even adding options.

a platnum 2010 f150 starts at 43.6k (again not adding options or messing with cab config), yet a expedition king ranch 4x4 is 50.

doesent seem like much of a gap to me

so what are we paying for, beefier axles, transmissions (lol), and motors? or is it just so people can say, "lets take my truck, hell yeah", like the fact that we own trucks is that much more badass?

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 02-10-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

You're comparing the price of a luxury truck (Lariat, Platinum, Lariat-Limited) to a Mercedes and Corvette??????

You gotta PAY to PLAY.

Try pull'n a trailer with a Vette.

LMAO

Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
i understand all of that, im just trying to see why they seem to be so high, don't f150s have the same motor/trans/diffs that an expedition does? is an f150 any better at pulling loads than a similarly equipped expedition? or are we paying for a better rear suspension design to handle payload and trailers?

are f150s better at being worked, like driving through snow for long distances , or sitting and idling longer just because they are trucks, when compared to an expedition or something of the sort?

Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
i guess what im trying to say is if you dont use your bed of your truck, just have it to pull a trailer, is there any reason to get an f150 vs, spending another 3-5 grand to get an expedition, and then having more interior room, and more doohickeys and gizmoes to play with.

what makes an f150 different than just being an expedition with less options, less interior space, only to gain a bed that some use and some dont?

to put it this way i started contemplating this when i sat in my friends 07 tahoe, it had dual zone climate control, heated front and rear seats, heated washer fluid, nav, back up camera and so on. i know that truck cant have been that much more expensive than my f150 when new, and he can still pull a 22 foot enclosed trailer just like i can. so am i saving 3 or 5 grand just by getting a bed?

like i said im trying to figure out if the f150s have a stronger front end/ balljoint setup, or a better cooling system, or a better transfer case, simply because they are trucks, not suv's. i assume us truck owners are paying more for things like that, rather than for the image of driving a truck.

im not regreting buying my truck over an suv or anything, this is for sake of argument. im not the only one that i know that wonders these things.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 02-10-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
It's simple really. Everyone and their mother is buying pick up trucks these days. Most of them are super crews with short beds (that never get used) and all those nicely added creature comforts. The days of a pick up being used as a pick up are, for the most part, over. I mean look at probably 90% of the members on this forum even. They don't use the trucks for their jobs like back in the day. Most will justify "oh well I have weekend trips to Home Depot, the added safety for my family, I just like trucks, etc." .. all fine and dandy answers, but that is pretty much the exact reason they're priced so high. EVERYONE is buying them!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
see thats what i think. im trying to see if thats the sole reason why they are priced high, or if f150s really do have a better steering / cooling / front end / 4wd system than an expedition.

edit, he said 90 percent people, if you use your truck as a truck (read bucky, or anyone else that uses their truck as a part of their job), then you are are in the 10 percent, so dont take offense to that.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 02-10-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 PM
They are priced high in my opinon too! I wanted a RAPTOR....but for the price, forget it!

So I went out and bought a barely used truck for under half the price!
When all I really NEEDED was my old truck really (08 Sport-Trac Adrenalin) but I do LOVE my FX4!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

If you want an SUV, get an SUV. Tahoe's are crazy expensive when fully loaded!

I don't want an SUV I want a truck, specifically a raptor or another FX4. I want it for the looks, the ruggedness, etc.. i would feel completely stupid toting around building supplies in the back of an SUV or even a trailer hooked up. If i needed a truck to do work, I'd without a doubt get a super duty.

Have you been in the 09-11 Supercrews? holy crap, they make my 04-08 m.y. supercrew feel like a supercab! how much more room do you need? are you always carting around 8 people? I'd bet not, most of the time it's just me and i don't even need a supercrew, but the extra room is nice to have.

Because of the prices of new trucks I decided why not look into a raptor since it and a fully loaded FX4 are not too far off in price. I also considered a 2011 F250 because the price isn't too far off from the raptor, the issue there is the higher cost of ownership and return on investment being next to none since i don't need it for work or towing capacity. Plus how many raptors are on the road? I'd guess not many. lifted trucks are a dime-a-dozen, and while I love them i think I'm looking for a change, possibly to a raptor. i am more than willing to pony up the $$ for either one though. I like trucks, not SUV's

to me it has always made sense that you buy the wife a family car, it could be sporty like the edge or tahoe, and the guy gets a truck or sports car. most of the time if your going out as a family you would take the larger vehicle anyway.. I always get a laugh out of a guy driving alone in a mini-van or suburban.

maybe I am looking at this all wrong...?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
no your not, i dont want an suv either, i want my truck, i was trying to decipher if motor companies were banking off of us because we are diehard truck people, or if there actually giving us beefier steering stuff, beefier drivelines, ect.

if you were to take the body off an expedition, and put on a bed and cab of an f150, would you have an f150, or a dummered down f150 with weaker components?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Why are they priced high? Because they sell more trucks when they jack the prices up. That came directly from an insider at Ford.

It has become human nature to think something must be better and you absolutely have to have it if it is priced to where you can barely afford it. Think about it. That $40 steak has to be better than the same cut at the restaurant down the road where it is only $15, right?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by quackrstackr
Why are they priced high? Because they sell more trucks when they jack the prices up. That came directly from an insider at Ford.

It has become human nature to think something must be better and you absolutely have to have it if it is priced to where you can barely afford it. Think about it. That $40 steak has to be better than the same cut at the restaurant down the road where it is only $15, right?
He has a good point. it also stands to reason that ford trucks are light years ahead of the competition. Ford is constantly innovating, redesigning, etc.. there designs are far from the stagnant designs of GM, Chevy and dodge. I consider ford trucks to be the highest quality on the road, the safest on the road,the best looking on the road, etc; and being the best selling truck (for like 32 years now?), I guess they could command a high price..

especially 2011 onward I bet they will be looking to recoup some of the costs of all that innovation across the product line. Some people I talk with think ford will eventually fall off, and be forced to lower prices when people move to more affordable vehicles because ford's prices got too out of hand at some point in the future. I don't really know about any of that at the moment, but I do know that they really are not winning any friends with the price of the superduty at the moment. yea everyone loves it, but no one can really afford it!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
If you think that truck prices are high, go price yourself a new bass boat to tow behind it!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
im sure they are crazy, but they also will do north of 50 mph right? every newer bassboat ive seen would probably beat the snot out of my 65 mph jetski.

does anyone know of differences between expys and f150s?

Old 02-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
im sure they are crazy, but they also will do north of 50 mph right? every newer bassboat ive seen would probably beat the snot out of my 65 mph jetski.

does anyone know of differences between expys and f150s?
Sure!

Expy's have sophisticated independent rear suspensions with air assist.

F150's have stone-age solid live axle rear-ends.

That's why the F150's cost more

MGD

Old 02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Most of them will do north of 70 mph but they cost more than either that base Corvette or King Ranch Expy that you mentioned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: why are trucks priced so high?