2004 - 2008 F-150

4WD Won't Engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok is this just a coincence or is Ford up to something.. J/K

I go out this moring to go to work and when I start going I notice that the truck feels like it is in 4WD,, I can hear the transfercase whinning and after 20-30 feet I hear a clunk and the truck drives like it's back in 2WD.. Stop and check 4WD switch, Cycle through Hi and low,, All is working fine. Put it back in 2WD and truck onto work, No Problem.. Not sure if it is 4WD issue or IWE issue..
Mind you is was like minus 13c. (8-9f) So was thinking it was just frozen. All working ok now.

Just strange that a number of us are having the same type of problem around the same time..

Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so mine just went out on me yesterday I got stuck in some deep snow some how and eventually got pulled out ...actually needed the 4wd and wouldn't come on - thank god I got a a warranty

Old 02-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Woodiedl
Ok is this just a coincence or is Ford up to something.. J/K

I go out this moring to go to work and when I start going I notice that the truck feels like it is in 4WD,, I can hear the transfercase whinning and after 20-30 feet I hear a clunk and the truck drives like it's back in 2WD.. Stop and check 4WD switch, Cycle through Hi and low,, All is working fine. Put it back in 2WD and truck onto work, No Problem.. Not sure if it is 4WD issue or IWE issue..
Mind you is was like minus 13c. (8-9f) So was thinking it was just frozen. All working ok now.

Just strange that a number of us are having the same type of problem around the same time..
Remember, when you shut your truck off, you loose vacuum and your IWE's return to the locked position eventually. When it's really cold outside - and your IWE's and the whole actuator system are cold, I could believe that it might take a bit to unlock them when you first start and drive the truck. Of course this doesn't explain the transfer case part of your descrition.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 PM
BTT
2004 FX4 39,600 miles 5.4 305/65/18 on stock wheels
4x4 wouldn't work

I wish I had access to the net 2 days ago when I needed my 4x4 at the deer lease.
I checked all fuses, the relays under the hood, NOTHING!
Played with the switch, Nothing!
drove the 250 miles home and was playing with the switch at the read light "BAM" the 4x4 enguaged, then it wouldnt come out of 4x4. pulled over cycled the 4x4 several more times and it seems to be working fine now.
F150online has saved me many $$$ just by using the search.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by del518
I am having the same issue with 4WD not engaging. I have a 06 F-150 with 26k miles. Can someone post a picture of where the vacuum solenoid is on the firewall? If it is an easy fix....I will try it myself.

Currently I have an appointment at the dealer to look at this on Tuesday. I would much rather try to fix it myself....it I can and if it is not that difficult.
the solenoid is located directly behind the battery on the firewall it is held in place with 2 10 mm nuts it has an electrical connection and two vacum lines going to it it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to change it out

Quick Reply: 4WD Won't Engage