2004 - 2008 F-150

4WD Won't Engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by del518
No...the 4H and 4L lights do illuminate when I first start the truck. Other than that...they do not illuminate when I switch to 4H or 4L.
So they light up when you start is just the cluster doing the self check at start up. Nothing to do with actual 4wd.

If you have the truck running and the 4wd light does not come on, it means (most likely) the transfercase is not shifting into 4wd. The most likely culprit is the shift motor which a lot of us have used the hammer trick to get it to shift. I suppose it could be totally dead or internal parts to the transfercase, but that is a lot less likely.

The vacuum solenoid is part of the system that engages/disengages the front locking hubs (IWEs). If something is wrong with that the dash cluster will indicate 4wd, however, a noise would be heard from the front end if the IWEs are just partially or the front wheels may not turn at all if they were disengaged completely.

Basically, start with the transfercase before you get to the IWEs for troubleshooting.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by transfercase
So they light up when you start is just the cluster doing the self check at start up. Nothing to do with actual 4wd.

If you have the truck running and the 4wd light does not come on, it means (most likely) the transfercase is not shifting into 4wd. The most likely culprit is the shift motor which a lot of us have used the hammer trick to get it to shift. I suppose it could be totally dead or internal parts to the transfercase, but that is a lot less likely.

The vacuum solenoid is part of the system that engages/disengages the front locking hubs (IWEs). If something is wrong with that the dash cluster will indicate 4wd, however, a noise would be heard from the front end if the IWEs are just partially or the front wheels may not turn at all if they were disengaged completely.

Basically, start with the transfercase before you get to the IWEs for troubleshooting.
Okay....I have read other posts, where it states to take a hammer and bang on your transfer case and it should fix the problem...and I thought that didn't sound like a thing that should be done. That being said....I did not try that approach.

Well taking your advise above...I thought that if other people are doing it I would give it a try. Then I asked myself...what kind of hammer should I use...so I grabbed a rubber mallet. I then proceeded to lay down under the truck and started banging away at the transfer case. A little bang here...a little bang there.

I stood up and moved the switch to 4H...and the friggin light came on and I heard the switch. Just to be sure it was working...I took it for a rip around the block...and it works like a charm.

Thank you very much for you advice and guidance!

But...I have to ask. Does this mean the problem solved? Should I still have it looked at?

Old 01-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Mine was acting up about 2 weeks ago when I was actually needing 4x4. So I flipped it to 4x4 and nothing. Well kept going and wouldnt you know it, got stuck. O well it was just 2 feet of snow and I wasnt worried. Started rocking the truck and then BANG 4x4 kicked in and you could hear it kick in lol. Fixed after that and hasnt done it again.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by del518
Okay....I have read other posts, where it states to take a hammer and bang on your transfer case and it should fix the problem...and I thought that didn't sound like a thing that should be done. That being said....I did not try that approach.

Well taking your advise above...I thought that if other people are doing it I would give it a try. Then I asked myself...what kind of hammer should I use...so I grabbed a rubber mallet. I then proceeded to lay down under the truck and started banging away at the transfer case. A little bang here...a little bang there.

I stood up and moved the switch to 4H...and the friggin light came on and I heard the switch. Just to be sure it was working...I took it for a rip around the block...and it works like a charm.

Thank you very much for you advice and guidance!

But...I have to ask. Does this mean the problem solved? Should I still have it looked at?
Glad it worked but i want to clarify, you don't hit the transfercase, you hit the transfercase shift motor.

Name:  tcshiftmotor.jpg
Views: 4911
Size:  51.5 KB

As for is the problem fixed? Mine still sticks and it's a PIA. But it does't do it all the time. Just need to make sure that you exercise it by putting it in 4wd ever few weeks and you should have much fewer problems.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the pic. I gave the shift motor a couple of love taps too!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:53 PM
I did this trick with the hammer and now my LOW works but no HIGH. No light no nothing. Just a flicker after switching back and forth. Solenoid maybe?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:02 PM
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...669-photo.html

Looking for solenoid? The area where you have the rain hood I have vacuum hoses? I have a 2006

Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by chrisrud15
I did this trick with the hammer and now my LOW works but no HIGH. No light no nothing. Just a flicker after switching back and forth. Solenoid maybe?
Thats a tough one. If you get 4 lo, that indicates to me that the solenoid and IWEs are working. This is one where it would be need to see the computer communication when this was occuring.

Haven't tried this, but wonder if you can remove the shift motor and manually move transfercase into 4 hi.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe solenoid shorting out or connections wet or something having to do with HIGH. But where is the solenoid in my picture. I see where the solenoid is with the rain hood on the other pictures.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Could this also apply to an '01 Excursion? Thanks.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM

Wrong, if the solenoid is faulty the dash will NOT indicate 4x4.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Thats a tough one. If you get 4 lo, that indicates to me that the solenoid and IWEs are working. This is one where it would be need to see the computer communication when this was occuring.

Haven't tried this, but wonder if you can remove the shift motor and manually move transfercase into 4 hi.
Again if the Solenoid is faulty the cluster will flicker when the switch is turned. Replace the solenoid for 22 dollars and move on. There is a TSB about it and it states in the TSB that a faulty solenoid will cause this. I have the same problem as the OP last year. After researching this issue and troubleshooting it, I replaced the solenoid with the updated one and problem solved.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM
My solenoid went out and the Low worked fine. The HI would flicker.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

*sigh* I cant get my truck in 4-hi or 4-low! what gives!

I wonder, is the manual shifter a rare option? my buddy has a 05 XLT floor shifter and never seems to have any issues getting into/out of 4X4.
Now if only he would use it!
I drive my truck 23/24 miles to work, he lives 2 miles from work and manages to get stuck?
When the girl up the road drives her FWD to work?

lazy much?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:12 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I have never owned a 4wd vehicle in my life, and I've never needed it. I've lived in the snow belt most of my life, I learned how to drive in it.

Quick Reply: 4WD Won't Engage