2004 - 2008 F-150

Driver side door controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side door controls not working

This morning I discovered that the controls on my driver side door quit working. No windows or door locks. They work on all the other doors. The keypad on the door works so the door is getting power. hopefully its just a fuse. Anyone solve this problem before? where should I start?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
i bought a new one from ford only around 60 bucks. old one pops out and disconnects and new one plugs back in real simple...unlike the plug change I am currently doing

Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM
if they work on all the other doors, i wouldnt imagine it being a fuse. Only makes sense that the keypad is on a different feed than the rest, because its hot even with key off and not using the acc. delay relay. I know the violet wire problem fixes some...but i dont know if it has anything to do with pw/pl. Is that is all thats wrong??

Old 11-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tardman91
This morning I discovered that the controls on my driver side door quit working. No windows or door locks. They work on all the other doors. The keypad on the door works so the door is getting power. hopefully its just a fuse. Anyone solve this problem before? where should I start?
Pull your rubber loom protector back from the drivers post so that you can see the wires that come from inside into the door. There have been quite a few problems with a wire breaking in that loom. If the wires ALL look OK, try pushing the drivers switch back and forth to see if it's burned contacts. I had to clean up my SIL's on her '07 because the drivers window was acting up pretty bad. My guess would be the broken wire though. I believe the wire that normally breaks is a ground wire. I'm pretty sure the juice for the other 3 windows only passes through the drivers master switch and gets it's ground from the individual door so they would still operate if the ground for the drivers door was broken in the loom.

Last edited by code58; 11-27-2010 at 03:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 AM
^ x2..thats right where i was headed lol

Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 AM
I severed a wire in the post area-during a stereo installation-and repaired it. The driver's control is instrumental in the operation with the other controls. Is the plug seated?

Start there.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:41 PM

Later in the day everything was working fine. Maybe something was loose? I don't know. Could have been that in a Black Friday shopping stooper I was just imagining things. As long as it keeps working I'll just leave it be for now. Thanks for the help though.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 PM

Happened again today. It seems that if I open the door a certain amount (the notch before full extension) then sometimes the control panel won't work. There must be a loose wire or connection in there somewhere. I'll have to investigate a little more when I get a chance.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Happened again today. It seems that if I open the door a certain amount (the notch before full extension) then sometimes the control panel won't work. There must be a loose wire or connection in there somewhere. I'll have to investigate a little more when I get a chance.
[QUOTE=code58;4409061]Pull your rubber loom protector back from the drivers post so that you can see the wires that come from inside into the door. There have been quite a few problems with a wire breaking in that loom. My guess would be the broken wire.[QUOTE]

Old 11-29-2010, 04:15 PM

I tried pulling the rubber cover off of the wires. I seperated it from the door, but I couldn't see much in there. From what I can tell the wires are encased in another layer of runner or something. I didn't want to pull on it too hard for fear of causing more damage. Any suggestions, or a picture of what exactly I should be looking for?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
------>https://www.f150online.com/forums/4387471-post8.html<------

check out the top 2 pictures i posted. there you can see the severed wire. Its in plain sight tho...your saying you cant really see anything

Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM
If not the wiring its the buttons. All my window controls were doing the exact same thing. I was in getting new tint and my shop guy told me he knew exactly what it was and had them all fixed in 15 minutes.

It seems that the underneath each button where the metal portion makes a connection to the metal on the door controls(if that makes sense) there was a build up of carbon or something that was stopping the connection. He popped out all the buttons and sanded down all the little metal portions that make a connection to the door controls and HOLY CRAP they all worked.

Didn't see mblour's thread but this is exactly what was happening to mine
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ow-switch.html

Last edited by thenewbreed; 11-29-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM

I pulled back the rubber seal and cut a little of the extended piece on mine and sure enough the black ground wire is nearly severed. Crap.
Now how do I fix this? Get a piece of wire (any special kind or guage) and then just use 2 connectors to fix it up? This is going to be a real bitch because there's not much room to work in there. Any EASY way to get the door to open a little more? Or is there a trick here besides having to have baby hands?

Old 12-01-2010, 04:21 AM
I pulled back the rubber seal and cut a little of the extended piece on mine and sure enough the black ground wire is nearly severed. Crap.
Now how do I fix this? Get a piece of wire (any special kind or guage) and then just use 2 connectors to fix it up? This is going to be a real bitch because there's not much room to work in there. Any EASY way to get the door to open a little more? Or is there a trick here besides having to have baby hands?
TM- It is hard to get in there but when you do, make a loop of wire about 6 in. long. Connect to one end and then loop it and connect the other end. You'll go crazy trying to simply connect it straight on. If you have to, cut it back farther into the door where you can get to it and make a long enough wire that you can work BOTH ends where you have more room than getting your hands into an impossible place. Or better yet, go to an electronic store and get some of the good really flexible fine strand wire (has a nice flexible rubber insulation on it also) and ground to the ground on the L inside post and run it clear into the door before you connect it. They are using a different copper these days that carries more juice but it is harder and more prone to break when it is constantly flexed like that. It's a common problem.
Use a gauge that is at least as large or larger than what the original broken wire is. It's probably 14Ga. I would go down to at least 12Ga. if you use the wire from an electronic store. The bigger ones have bulk and will sell you whatever you need.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Thats what i did. Pulled the severed piece into the door and do one connection there. The other is a pain, but do-able

Quick Reply: Driver side door controls not working