2004 - 2008 F-150

Driver side door controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh. What a pain in the ***. I guess I'll get around to this this weekend. What connectors should I use? Are there any particular type that are better? I have a bunch of the ones where you feed the wire into one end and then crimp down on the red button. I usually prefer those, but they're a little bulky for that tight of a space.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM
just get regular butt splices. the crimp type.(red,blue, yellow. use the blue) make sure to use heat shrink, or rubber splicing tape, then electrical tape to top it off.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The problem is getting worse, so now I have to fix it this afternoon. Any advice to make it a little easier before I get started? I'm going with 12g wire and some butt splices.
Is my best bet to pull the one side into the cab of the truck and make a connection there, and then try and figure out how to make the connection in the door? I'll make sure the wire is PLENTY long so it has a lot of room to flex.

Last edited by tardman91; 02-01-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:46 PM
Broken ground wire

I've been a lurker of forums for too long now, never having added anything. Today I made an account and wanted to let everyone know, that my 2005 F-150 FX4 V8 4x4 (150,000 miles), had the same problem. I went through the same song and dance: Fuses/switches etc. I checked the boot between the door and cab and sure as Sh*t...... Broken ground wire. (looking much as if someone had cut it). I twisted a splice of speaker wire between the two broken (brittle) ends of the existing wire with some wire nuts and electrical tape (tried solder but couldn't get it to stick). Now I can lock the doors and everyone else's windows work. Thank you guys.

Sincerely,
Land Surveyor

Quick Reply: Driver side door controls not working